File Download

There are no files associated with this item.

  Links for fulltext
     (May Require Subscription)
Supplementary

Article: The predictive value of G8 and the Cancer and aging research group chemotherapy toxicity tool in treatment-related toxicity in older Chinese patients with cancer

TitleThe predictive value of G8 and the Cancer and aging research group chemotherapy toxicity tool in treatment-related toxicity in older Chinese patients with cancer
Authors
KeywordsTreatment
Prediction
Toxicities
Assessment
Chinese
Issue Date2021
PublisherElsevier Inc. The Journal's web site is located at http://www.geriatriconcology.net/
Citation
Journal of Geriatric Oncology, 2021, v. 12 n. 4, p. 557-562 How to Cite?
AbstractIntroduction: Older patients experience a higher risk of treatment-related toxicity (TRT). The G8 screening tool was developed to separate cancer older patients fit to receive standard treatment from those who are frail and experiencing functional decline due to reduced organ function and multiple comorbidities. The Cancer and Aging Research Group chemotherapy toxicity tool (CARG-tt) questionnaire was developed to predict chemotherapy toxicity in geriatric patients. This prospective observational study evaluated the performance of G8 and CARG-tt in predicting severe TRT in older Chinese cancer patients. Methods: Chinese patients aged ≥65 with a diagnosis of solid malignancy and scheduled to receive anti-cancer treatment (chemotherapy or targeted therapy) were enrolled from March 2016 to July 2017 at the Department of Clinical Oncology at Queen Mary Hospital in Hong Kong. All patients completed the G8 and CARG-tt screening and pre-treatment assessments before starting treatment. Patients were monitored for any severe TRT, which was defined by grades 3–5 using the National Cancer Institute's Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events v4.03, treatment discontinuation, or unexpected hospitalization from starting to 30 days after treatment. Results: A total of 259 patients (male: 154, 59.5%; median age: 73.4, age range: 65–93) were enrolled in the study. Two hundred and ten (81.1%) patients received chemotherapy while the rest (n = 49, 18.9%) received targeted therapy. Overall, 146 patients (56.8%) experienced severe TRT. The mean G8 score was 12.4 (SD: 2.8). The G8 score had a significant association with unexpected admission (cutoff: 14, 41.3% vs. 26.5%, p = 0.03) but not significant in other types of TRTs. The mean CARG-tt score was 7.67 (SD: 3.7); it was not associated with severe TRTs. Conclusions: The G8 and CARG-tt demonstrated a weak prediction of severe TRT in older Chinese cancer patients. Future studies need to develop predictive tools for TRT in patients receiving novel antineoplastic therapies, with a focus on subgroup analysis for different populations.
Persistent Identifierhttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/302049
ISSN
2021 Impact Factor: 3.929
2020 SCImago Journal Rankings: 1.032
ISI Accession Number ID

 

DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorChan, WL-
dc.contributor.authorMa, T-
dc.contributor.authorCheung, KL-
dc.contributor.authorChoi, H-
dc.contributor.authorWong, J-
dc.contributor.authorLam, KO-
dc.contributor.authorYuen, KK-
dc.contributor.authorLuk, MY-
dc.contributor.authorKwong, D-
dc.date.accessioned2021-08-21T03:30:50Z-
dc.date.available2021-08-21T03:30:50Z-
dc.date.issued2021-
dc.identifier.citationJournal of Geriatric Oncology, 2021, v. 12 n. 4, p. 557-562-
dc.identifier.issn1879-4068-
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/302049-
dc.description.abstractIntroduction: Older patients experience a higher risk of treatment-related toxicity (TRT). The G8 screening tool was developed to separate cancer older patients fit to receive standard treatment from those who are frail and experiencing functional decline due to reduced organ function and multiple comorbidities. The Cancer and Aging Research Group chemotherapy toxicity tool (CARG-tt) questionnaire was developed to predict chemotherapy toxicity in geriatric patients. This prospective observational study evaluated the performance of G8 and CARG-tt in predicting severe TRT in older Chinese cancer patients. Methods: Chinese patients aged ≥65 with a diagnosis of solid malignancy and scheduled to receive anti-cancer treatment (chemotherapy or targeted therapy) were enrolled from March 2016 to July 2017 at the Department of Clinical Oncology at Queen Mary Hospital in Hong Kong. All patients completed the G8 and CARG-tt screening and pre-treatment assessments before starting treatment. Patients were monitored for any severe TRT, which was defined by grades 3–5 using the National Cancer Institute's Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events v4.03, treatment discontinuation, or unexpected hospitalization from starting to 30 days after treatment. Results: A total of 259 patients (male: 154, 59.5%; median age: 73.4, age range: 65–93) were enrolled in the study. Two hundred and ten (81.1%) patients received chemotherapy while the rest (n = 49, 18.9%) received targeted therapy. Overall, 146 patients (56.8%) experienced severe TRT. The mean G8 score was 12.4 (SD: 2.8). The G8 score had a significant association with unexpected admission (cutoff: 14, 41.3% vs. 26.5%, p = 0.03) but not significant in other types of TRTs. The mean CARG-tt score was 7.67 (SD: 3.7); it was not associated with severe TRTs. Conclusions: The G8 and CARG-tt demonstrated a weak prediction of severe TRT in older Chinese cancer patients. Future studies need to develop predictive tools for TRT in patients receiving novel antineoplastic therapies, with a focus on subgroup analysis for different populations.-
dc.languageeng-
dc.publisherElsevier Inc. The Journal's web site is located at http://www.geriatriconcology.net/-
dc.relation.ispartofJournal of Geriatric Oncology-
dc.subjectTreatment-
dc.subjectPrediction-
dc.subjectToxicities-
dc.subjectAssessment-
dc.subjectChinese-
dc.titleThe predictive value of G8 and the Cancer and aging research group chemotherapy toxicity tool in treatment-related toxicity in older Chinese patients with cancer-
dc.typeArticle-
dc.identifier.emailChan, WL: winglok@hku.hk-
dc.identifier.emailChoi, H: hcchoi@hku.hk-
dc.identifier.emailLam, KO: lamkaon@hku.hk-
dc.identifier.emailKwong, D: dlwkwong@hku.hk-
dc.identifier.authorityChan, WL=rp02541-
dc.identifier.authorityChoi, H=rp02815-
dc.identifier.authorityLam, KO=rp01501-
dc.identifier.authorityKwong, D=rp00414-
dc.description.naturelink_to_subscribed_fulltext-
dc.identifier.doi10.1016/j.jgo.2020.10.013-
dc.identifier.pmid33127385-
dc.identifier.scopuseid_2-s2.0-85094594444-
dc.identifier.hkuros324231-
dc.identifier.volume12-
dc.identifier.issue4-
dc.identifier.spage557-
dc.identifier.epage562-
dc.identifier.isiWOS:000647749600008-
dc.publisher.placeUnited States-

Export via OAI-PMH Interface in XML Formats


OR


Export to Other Non-XML Formats