File Download

There are no files associated with this item.

  Links for fulltext
     (May Require Subscription)
Supplementary

Article: Quantitative analysis of debris-flow flexible barrier capacity from momentum and energy perspectives

TitleQuantitative analysis of debris-flow flexible barrier capacity from momentum and energy perspectives
Authors
KeywordsDebris flow
Momentum flux
Kinetic energy
Flexible barrier
Debris-structure interaction
Issue Date2019
Citation
Engineering Geology, 2019, v. 251, p. 81-92 How to Cite?
Abstract© 2019 Elsevier B.V. In-depth understanding of debris-structure interaction is hindered by a lack of physical data of debris flow impacting structures. This study reports a set of centrifuge experiments investigating the impact load exerted by debris flow on rigid and flexible barriers. A combination of high-speed imagery and load-displacement sensors enabled a comprehensive grasp of the impact details, including flow depth, velocity, impact pressure, bending moment, and cable force-elongation of flexible barrier. Test results reveal that the debris-structure interaction plays a major role in the energy dissipation and impact load reconstruction. The built-up of static load behind the barrier occurs simultaneously with the grow-up of impact force. As a result, the momentum flux of incoming flow is not merely a surrogate of the impact force. A quantitative analysis from the energy perspective has been conducted. Under the experimental conditions of this study, debris flow impact results in over 90% of debris energy dissipated through the internal and boundary shearing, leaving <10% absorbed by the flexible barrier. Findings from the energy and momentum perspectives could facilitate the optimization of flexible barriers in mitigation of debris flow hazards.
Persistent Identifierhttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/273686
ISSN
2020 Impact Factor: 6.755
2015 SCImago Journal Rankings: 1.810
ISI Accession Number ID

 

DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorSong, D.-
dc.contributor.authorZhou, Gordon G.D.-
dc.contributor.authorXu, Min-
dc.contributor.authorChoi, C. E.-
dc.contributor.authorLi, S.-
dc.contributor.authorZheng, Y.-
dc.date.accessioned2019-08-12T09:56:22Z-
dc.date.available2019-08-12T09:56:22Z-
dc.date.issued2019-
dc.identifier.citationEngineering Geology, 2019, v. 251, p. 81-92-
dc.identifier.issn0013-7952-
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/273686-
dc.description.abstract© 2019 Elsevier B.V. In-depth understanding of debris-structure interaction is hindered by a lack of physical data of debris flow impacting structures. This study reports a set of centrifuge experiments investigating the impact load exerted by debris flow on rigid and flexible barriers. A combination of high-speed imagery and load-displacement sensors enabled a comprehensive grasp of the impact details, including flow depth, velocity, impact pressure, bending moment, and cable force-elongation of flexible barrier. Test results reveal that the debris-structure interaction plays a major role in the energy dissipation and impact load reconstruction. The built-up of static load behind the barrier occurs simultaneously with the grow-up of impact force. As a result, the momentum flux of incoming flow is not merely a surrogate of the impact force. A quantitative analysis from the energy perspective has been conducted. Under the experimental conditions of this study, debris flow impact results in over 90% of debris energy dissipated through the internal and boundary shearing, leaving <10% absorbed by the flexible barrier. Findings from the energy and momentum perspectives could facilitate the optimization of flexible barriers in mitigation of debris flow hazards.-
dc.languageeng-
dc.relation.ispartofEngineering Geology-
dc.subjectDebris flow-
dc.subjectMomentum flux-
dc.subjectKinetic energy-
dc.subjectFlexible barrier-
dc.subjectDebris-structure interaction-
dc.titleQuantitative analysis of debris-flow flexible barrier capacity from momentum and energy perspectives-
dc.typeArticle-
dc.description.naturelink_to_subscribed_fulltext-
dc.identifier.doi10.1016/j.enggeo.2019.02.010-
dc.identifier.scopuseid_2-s2.0-85061447232-
dc.identifier.hkuros311048-
dc.identifier.volume251-
dc.identifier.spage81-
dc.identifier.epage92-
dc.identifier.isiWOS:000464480600008-
dc.identifier.issnl0013-7952-

Export via OAI-PMH Interface in XML Formats


OR


Export to Other Non-XML Formats