File Download

There are no files associated with this item.

  Links for fulltext
     (May Require Subscription)
Supplementary

Article: Wide local excision (WLE) for vaginal intraepithelial neoplasia (VAIN)

TitleWide local excision (WLE) for vaginal intraepithelial neoplasia (VAIN)
Authors
KeywordsExcision
Occult cancer
Treatment of VAIN
Issue Date1999
PublisherJohn Wiley & Sons Ltd. The Journal's web site is located at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1600-0412
Citation
Acta Obstetricia Et Gynecologica Scandinavica, 1999, v. 78 n. 7, p. 648-652 How to Cite?
AbstractBackground. To assess the use of wide local excision in the treatment of VAIN. Methods. A retrospective review on 40 WLE procedures for VAIN. Results. The mean age was 60 years. Thirty-six (90%) patients had previous treatment for genital tract cancer or pre-cancer. The median duration and blood loss during operation was 45 minutes and 50 mls respectively. Fifteen complications affected 11 patients. Only one of five patients with 'vaginal cancer' was diagnosed prior to WLE. Of the 35 patients treated for VAIN 3, 12 (34%) developed abnormal cytology during follow up - three had residual VAIN 3, five had recurrent VAIN 3 and four had invasive cancer diagnosed. The remaining 23 (66%) patients were disease free at a median follow up of 44 months. Conclusions. Ablative therapy for VAIN 3 is unsafe as occult invasive foci can be missed by biopsy. WLE is efficacious in treating high grade VAIN 3. Long term surveillance of the lower genital tract is needed to diagnose metachronous lesions.
Persistent Identifierhttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/87244
ISSN
2015 Impact Factor: 2.191
2015 SCImago Journal Rankings: 1.197
ISI Accession Number ID
References

 

DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorCheng, Den_HK
dc.contributor.authorNg, TYen_HK
dc.contributor.authorNgan, HYSen_HK
dc.contributor.authorWong, LCen_HK
dc.date.accessioned2010-09-06T09:27:11Z-
dc.date.available2010-09-06T09:27:11Z-
dc.date.issued1999en_HK
dc.identifier.citationActa Obstetricia Et Gynecologica Scandinavica, 1999, v. 78 n. 7, p. 648-652en_HK
dc.identifier.issn0001-6349en_HK
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/87244-
dc.description.abstractBackground. To assess the use of wide local excision in the treatment of VAIN. Methods. A retrospective review on 40 WLE procedures for VAIN. Results. The mean age was 60 years. Thirty-six (90%) patients had previous treatment for genital tract cancer or pre-cancer. The median duration and blood loss during operation was 45 minutes and 50 mls respectively. Fifteen complications affected 11 patients. Only one of five patients with 'vaginal cancer' was diagnosed prior to WLE. Of the 35 patients treated for VAIN 3, 12 (34%) developed abnormal cytology during follow up - three had residual VAIN 3, five had recurrent VAIN 3 and four had invasive cancer diagnosed. The remaining 23 (66%) patients were disease free at a median follow up of 44 months. Conclusions. Ablative therapy for VAIN 3 is unsafe as occult invasive foci can be missed by biopsy. WLE is efficacious in treating high grade VAIN 3. Long term surveillance of the lower genital tract is needed to diagnose metachronous lesions.en_HK
dc.languageengen_HK
dc.publisherJohn Wiley & Sons Ltd. The Journal's web site is located at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1111/(ISSN)1600-0412en_HK
dc.relation.ispartofActa Obstetricia et Gynecologica Scandinavicaen_HK
dc.subjectExcisionen_HK
dc.subjectOccult canceren_HK
dc.subjectTreatment of VAINen_HK
dc.titleWide local excision (WLE) for vaginal intraepithelial neoplasia (VAIN)en_HK
dc.typeArticleen_HK
dc.identifier.openurlhttp://library.hku.hk:4550/resserv?sid=HKU:IR&issn=1936-0851&volume=78&spage=648&epage=652&date=1999&atitle=Wide+local+excision+(WLE)+for+vaginal+intraepithelial+neoplasia+(VAIN)en_HK
dc.identifier.emailNgan, HYS:hysngan@hkucc.hku.hken_HK
dc.identifier.authorityNgan, HYS=rp00346en_HK
dc.description.naturelink_to_subscribed_fulltext-
dc.identifier.pmid10422914-
dc.identifier.scopuseid_2-s2.0-0033054666en_HK
dc.identifier.hkuros47609en_HK
dc.relation.referenceshttp://www.scopus.com/mlt/select.url?eid=2-s2.0-0033054666&selection=ref&src=s&origin=recordpageen_HK
dc.identifier.volume78en_HK
dc.identifier.issue7en_HK
dc.identifier.spage648en_HK
dc.identifier.epage652en_HK
dc.identifier.isiWOS:000081495200015-
dc.publisher.placeUnited Kingdomen_HK
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridCheng, D=7402806161en_HK
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridNg, TY=7402229853en_HK
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridNgan, HYS=34571944100en_HK
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridWong, LC=7402092003en_HK

Export via OAI-PMH Interface in XML Formats


OR


Export to Other Non-XML Formats