File Download

There are no files associated with this item.

  Links for fulltext
     (May Require Subscription)
Supplementary

Conference Paper: Present status of pharyngolaryngo-esophagectomy

TitlePresent status of pharyngolaryngo-esophagectomy
Authors
KeywordsPharyngolaryngo-esophagectomy
Pharyngogastric anastomosis
Hypopharynx
Cervical esophagus
Gastric pull-up
Issue Date1999
PublisherJapan Broncho-Esophagological Society (Nihon Kikan Shokudoka Gakkai). The Journal's web site is located at https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/browse/jbes/-char/ja/
Citation
The 50th Annual Meeting of the Japan Broncho-esophagological Society, Kobe, Japan, 5-6 November 1998. In The Journal of the Japan Broncho-esophagological Society, 1999, v. 50 n. 1, p. 50-55 How to Cite?
AbstractPharyngolaryngo-esophagectomy and pharyngogastric anastomosis (PLO & PGA) is one of the surgical options in the management of tumors located at the hypopharyngeal and cervical esophageal region. Over the years, indications of this operation have changed and so are the results. The experience of performing this operation in our Institute over the last thirty years was reviewed to entablish the present status of this operation. A total of 317 patients underwent the operation PLO & PGA from 1966 to 1995 in the department of surgery, University of Hong Kong Medical Center, at Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong. The clinical results of 69 patients operated on between 1986 and 1995 were analyzed in detail and compared with that of patients in the two periods reported previously from the same Institute, to show the changing trend. During the seventies and eighties, for those who underwent the operation, in 53% of them, the primary tumors were advanced laryngeal carcinomas extending to the hypopharynx, while for the other 47% patients, their primary tumor were hypopharyngeal and cervical esophageal malignancies. In recent years, all patients belonged to the latter group. Over the years, the hospital mortality has decreased from 31% to 9% and the incidence of bleeding, anastomosic leakage and other major morbidities have also reduced from 20% to 10%. These are likely to be related to patient selection and some technical modifications. The latter include the introduction of transthoracic endoscopic mobilization of the esophagus and the various measures to produce a tensionless anastomosis at the pharyngogastric suture line. The overall minor morbidity has, however, remained at around 49% and the 5-year actuarial survival rate following this operation has improved from 18% in the seventies to 24.5% recently.
Persistent Identifierhttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/83973
ISSN

 

DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorWei, WIen_HK
dc.contributor.authorLaw, SYKen_HK
dc.contributor.authorHo, WKen_HK
dc.contributor.authorWong, Jen_HK
dc.date.accessioned2010-09-06T08:47:25Z-
dc.date.available2010-09-06T08:47:25Z-
dc.date.issued1999en_HK
dc.identifier.citationThe 50th Annual Meeting of the Japan Broncho-esophagological Society, Kobe, Japan, 5-6 November 1998. In The Journal of the Japan Broncho-esophagological Society, 1999, v. 50 n. 1, p. 50-55en_HK
dc.identifier.issn0029-0645-
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/83973-
dc.description.abstractPharyngolaryngo-esophagectomy and pharyngogastric anastomosis (PLO & PGA) is one of the surgical options in the management of tumors located at the hypopharyngeal and cervical esophageal region. Over the years, indications of this operation have changed and so are the results. The experience of performing this operation in our Institute over the last thirty years was reviewed to entablish the present status of this operation. A total of 317 patients underwent the operation PLO & PGA from 1966 to 1995 in the department of surgery, University of Hong Kong Medical Center, at Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong. The clinical results of 69 patients operated on between 1986 and 1995 were analyzed in detail and compared with that of patients in the two periods reported previously from the same Institute, to show the changing trend. During the seventies and eighties, for those who underwent the operation, in 53% of them, the primary tumors were advanced laryngeal carcinomas extending to the hypopharynx, while for the other 47% patients, their primary tumor were hypopharyngeal and cervical esophageal malignancies. In recent years, all patients belonged to the latter group. Over the years, the hospital mortality has decreased from 31% to 9% and the incidence of bleeding, anastomosic leakage and other major morbidities have also reduced from 20% to 10%. These are likely to be related to patient selection and some technical modifications. The latter include the introduction of transthoracic endoscopic mobilization of the esophagus and the various measures to produce a tensionless anastomosis at the pharyngogastric suture line. The overall minor morbidity has, however, remained at around 49% and the 5-year actuarial survival rate following this operation has improved from 18% in the seventies to 24.5% recently.-
dc.languageengen_HK
dc.publisherJapan Broncho-Esophagological Society (Nihon Kikan Shokudoka Gakkai). The Journal's web site is located at https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/browse/jbes/-char/ja/-
dc.relation.ispartofThe Journal of the Japan Broncho-esophagological Societyen_HK
dc.subjectPharyngolaryngo-esophagectomy-
dc.subjectPharyngogastric anastomosis-
dc.subjectHypopharynx-
dc.subjectCervical esophagus-
dc.subjectGastric pull-up-
dc.titlePresent status of pharyngolaryngo-esophagectomyen_HK
dc.typeConference_Paperen_HK
dc.identifier.emailWei, WI: hrmswwi@hku.hken_HK
dc.identifier.emailLaw, SYK: slaw@hku.hken_HK
dc.identifier.emailHo, WK: wkho@hkucc.hku.hken_HK
dc.identifier.emailWong, J: jwong@hkucc.hku.hken_HK
dc.identifier.authorityWei, WI=rp00323en_HK
dc.identifier.authorityLaw, SYK=rp00437en_HK
dc.identifier.authorityWong, J=rp00322en_HK
dc.identifier.doi10.2468/jbes.50.50-
dc.identifier.hkuros41583en_HK
dc.identifier.hkuros40138-
dc.identifier.volume50-
dc.identifier.issue1-
dc.identifier.spage50-
dc.identifier.epage55-
dc.publisher.placeJapan-

Export via OAI-PMH Interface in XML Formats


OR


Export to Other Non-XML Formats