File Download

There are no files associated with this item.

  Links for fulltext
     (May Require Subscription)
Supplementary

Article: Acute exacerbations in Chinese patients with chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection. Incidence, predisposing factors and etiology

TitleAcute exacerbations in Chinese patients with chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection. Incidence, predisposing factors and etiology
Authors
Issue Date1990
PublisherElsevier BV. The Journal's web site is located at http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jhep
Citation
Journal Of Hepatology, 1990, v. 10 n. 1, p. 29-34 How to Cite?
AbstractThree hundred and eighty-six Chinese patients (262 men and 124 women), age 5-74 years, with chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection were prospectively followed for 1-5 years to determine the incidence, predisposing factors and etiology of acute exacerbations that occurred during the course of chronic HBV infection. Group I consisted of 334 patients with serum alanine aminotransferase (ALT) levels below 200 IU/l at presentation. Of these, 29 (8.7%) patients developed 32 episodes of acute exacerbation during follow-up., The cumulative probabilities of developing exacerbations were 6.3% and 15% at the end of 1 and 4 years, respectively. Group II included 52 patients with ALT levels above 200 IU/l at presentation. Of these, 19 (37%) patients developed 26 episodes of exacerbation during follow-up. The cumulative probabilities of developing exacerbations were 24% and 47% at the end of 1 and 4 years, respectively. In both groups, the probability of developing exacerbations was slightly higher in men and significantly higher in those above the age of 20 and those who were HBeAg positive. Logistic regression analysis showed that HBeAg positivity (p < 0.00001), elevated ALT levels (> 200 IU/l) at presentation (p < 0.0001) and male sex (p = 0.03) were associated with a significantly higher probability of developing exacerbations. Twenty eight (48%) episodes of exacerbation were accompanied by symptoms of acute hepatitis. Thirty-three (57%) episodes of exacerbation were associated with inactivation and seven (12%) episodes with reactivation of HBV replication, one (2%) episode was due to superimposed acute hepatitis A, two episodes may be secondary to post-transfusion non-A, non-B hepatitis. None of the exacerbations was related to superinfection with hepatitis D virus. An understanding of the factors that trigger these exacerbations will help to delineate the mechanism(s) of immune clearance of HBV and the pathogenesis of HBV-induced liver diseases.
Persistent Identifierhttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/161827
ISSN
2015 Impact Factor: 10.59
2015 SCImago Journal Rankings: 4.570
ISI Accession Number ID

 

DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorLok, ASFen_US
dc.contributor.authorLai, CLen_US
dc.date.accessioned2012-09-05T05:15:20Z-
dc.date.available2012-09-05T05:15:20Z-
dc.date.issued1990en_US
dc.identifier.citationJournal Of Hepatology, 1990, v. 10 n. 1, p. 29-34en_US
dc.identifier.issn0168-8278en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/161827-
dc.description.abstractThree hundred and eighty-six Chinese patients (262 men and 124 women), age 5-74 years, with chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection were prospectively followed for 1-5 years to determine the incidence, predisposing factors and etiology of acute exacerbations that occurred during the course of chronic HBV infection. Group I consisted of 334 patients with serum alanine aminotransferase (ALT) levels below 200 IU/l at presentation. Of these, 29 (8.7%) patients developed 32 episodes of acute exacerbation during follow-up., The cumulative probabilities of developing exacerbations were 6.3% and 15% at the end of 1 and 4 years, respectively. Group II included 52 patients with ALT levels above 200 IU/l at presentation. Of these, 19 (37%) patients developed 26 episodes of exacerbation during follow-up. The cumulative probabilities of developing exacerbations were 24% and 47% at the end of 1 and 4 years, respectively. In both groups, the probability of developing exacerbations was slightly higher in men and significantly higher in those above the age of 20 and those who were HBeAg positive. Logistic regression analysis showed that HBeAg positivity (p < 0.00001), elevated ALT levels (> 200 IU/l) at presentation (p < 0.0001) and male sex (p = 0.03) were associated with a significantly higher probability of developing exacerbations. Twenty eight (48%) episodes of exacerbation were accompanied by symptoms of acute hepatitis. Thirty-three (57%) episodes of exacerbation were associated with inactivation and seven (12%) episodes with reactivation of HBV replication, one (2%) episode was due to superimposed acute hepatitis A, two episodes may be secondary to post-transfusion non-A, non-B hepatitis. None of the exacerbations was related to superinfection with hepatitis D virus. An understanding of the factors that trigger these exacerbations will help to delineate the mechanism(s) of immune clearance of HBV and the pathogenesis of HBV-induced liver diseases.en_US
dc.languageengen_US
dc.publisherElsevier BV. The Journal's web site is located at http://www.elsevier.com/locate/jhepen_US
dc.relation.ispartofJournal of Hepatologyen_US
dc.subject.meshAdolescenten_US
dc.subject.meshAdulten_US
dc.subject.meshAgeden_US
dc.subject.meshAlanine Transaminase - Blooden_US
dc.subject.meshAsian Continental Ancestry Groupen_US
dc.subject.meshChilden_US
dc.subject.meshChild, Preschoolen_US
dc.subject.meshChina - Ethnologyen_US
dc.subject.meshChronic Diseaseen_US
dc.subject.meshFemaleen_US
dc.subject.meshHepatitis B - Epidemiology - Ethnology - Physiopathologyen_US
dc.subject.meshHepatitis B Antibodies - Analysisen_US
dc.subject.meshHepatitis B E Antigens - Analysisen_US
dc.subject.meshHong Kongen_US
dc.subject.meshHumansen_US
dc.subject.meshIncidenceen_US
dc.subject.meshMaleen_US
dc.subject.meshMiddle Ageden_US
dc.subject.meshRegression Analysisen_US
dc.subject.meshRisk Factorsen_US
dc.titleAcute exacerbations in Chinese patients with chronic hepatitis B virus (HBV) infection. Incidence, predisposing factors and etiologyen_US
dc.typeArticleen_US
dc.identifier.emailLai, CL:hrmelcl@hku.hken_US
dc.identifier.authorityLai, CL=rp00314en_US
dc.description.naturelink_to_subscribed_fulltexten_US
dc.identifier.doi10.1016/0168-8278(90)90069-4en_US
dc.identifier.pmid2307827en_US
dc.identifier.scopuseid_2-s2.0-0025128658en_US
dc.identifier.volume10en_US
dc.identifier.issue1en_US
dc.identifier.spage29en_US
dc.identifier.epage34en_US
dc.identifier.isiWOS:A1990CH03600005-
dc.publisher.placeNetherlandsen_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridLok, ASF=35379868500en_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridLai, CL=7403086396en_US

Export via OAI-PMH Interface in XML Formats


OR


Export to Other Non-XML Formats