File Download

There are no files associated with this item.

  Links for fulltext
     (May Require Subscription)
Supplementary

Article: Retinal ganglion cell type, size, and spacing can be specified independent of homotypic dendritic contacts

TitleRetinal ganglion cell type, size, and spacing can be specified independent of homotypic dendritic contacts
Authors
KeywordsChemicals And Cas Registry Numbers
Issue Date2004
PublisherCell Press. The Journal's web site is located at http://www.elsevier.com/locate/neuron
Citation
Neuron, 2004, v. 43 n. 4, p. 475-485 How to Cite?
AbstractIn Brn3b-/- mice, where 80% of retinal ganglion cells degenerate early in development, the remaining 20% include most or all ganglion cell types. Cells of the same type cover the retinal surface evenly but tile it incompletely, indicating that a regular mosaic and normal dendritic field size can be maintained in the absence of contact among homotypic cells. In Math5 -/- mice, where only ∼5% of ganglion cells are formed, the dendritic arbors of at least two types among the residual ganglion cells are indistinguishable from normal in shape and size, even though throughout development they are separated by millimeters from the nearest neighboring ganglion cell of the same type. It appears that the primary phenotype of retinal ganglion cells can develop without homotypic contact; dendritic repulsion may be an end-stage mechanism that fine-tunes the dendritic arbors for more efficient coverage of the retinal surface.
Persistent Identifierhttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/90842
ISSN
2015 Impact Factor: 13.974
2015 SCImago Journal Rankings: 11.464
ISI Accession Number ID
References

 

DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorLin, Ben_HK
dc.contributor.authorWang, SWen_HK
dc.contributor.authorMasland, RHen_HK
dc.date.accessioned2010-09-17T10:09:12Z-
dc.date.available2010-09-17T10:09:12Z-
dc.date.issued2004en_HK
dc.identifier.citationNeuron, 2004, v. 43 n. 4, p. 475-485en_HK
dc.identifier.issn0896-6273en_HK
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/90842-
dc.description.abstractIn Brn3b-/- mice, where 80% of retinal ganglion cells degenerate early in development, the remaining 20% include most or all ganglion cell types. Cells of the same type cover the retinal surface evenly but tile it incompletely, indicating that a regular mosaic and normal dendritic field size can be maintained in the absence of contact among homotypic cells. In Math5 -/- mice, where only ∼5% of ganglion cells are formed, the dendritic arbors of at least two types among the residual ganglion cells are indistinguishable from normal in shape and size, even though throughout development they are separated by millimeters from the nearest neighboring ganglion cell of the same type. It appears that the primary phenotype of retinal ganglion cells can develop without homotypic contact; dendritic repulsion may be an end-stage mechanism that fine-tunes the dendritic arbors for more efficient coverage of the retinal surface.en_HK
dc.languageengen_HK
dc.publisherCell Press. The Journal's web site is located at http://www.elsevier.com/locate/neuronen_HK
dc.relation.ispartofNeuronen_HK
dc.subjectChemicals And Cas Registry Numbersen_HK
dc.subject.meshAnimalsen_HK
dc.subject.meshBasic Helix-Loop-Helix Transcription Factorsen_HK
dc.subject.meshCell Communication - genetics - physiologyen_HK
dc.subject.meshCell Count - methodsen_HK
dc.subject.meshCell Size - genetics - physiologyen_HK
dc.subject.meshDNA-Binding Proteins - biosynthesis - geneticsen_HK
dc.subject.meshDendrites - genetics - physiologyen_HK
dc.subject.meshMiceen_HK
dc.subject.meshMice, Inbred C57BLen_HK
dc.subject.meshMice, Knockouten_HK
dc.subject.meshNerve Tissue Proteins - biosynthesis - geneticsen_HK
dc.subject.meshRetinal Ganglion Cells - cytology - metabolismen_HK
dc.subject.meshTranscription Factor Brn-3en_HK
dc.subject.meshTranscription Factor Brn-3Ben_HK
dc.subject.meshTranscription Factors - biosynthesis - geneticsen_HK
dc.titleRetinal ganglion cell type, size, and spacing can be specified independent of homotypic dendritic contactsen_HK
dc.typeArticleen_HK
dc.identifier.emailLin, B:blin@hku.hken_HK
dc.identifier.authorityLin, B=rp01356en_HK
dc.description.naturelink_to_subscribed_fulltext-
dc.identifier.doi10.1016/j.neuron.2004.08.002en_HK
dc.identifier.pmid15312647-
dc.identifier.scopuseid_2-s2.0-4143058073en_HK
dc.relation.referenceshttp://www.scopus.com/mlt/select.url?eid=2-s2.0-4143058073&selection=ref&src=s&origin=recordpageen_HK
dc.identifier.volume43en_HK
dc.identifier.issue4en_HK
dc.identifier.spage475en_HK
dc.identifier.epage485en_HK
dc.identifier.isiWOS:000223436400007-
dc.publisher.placeUnited Statesen_HK
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridLin, B=36165916900en_HK
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridWang, SW=7410338362en_HK
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridMasland, RH=7007167900en_HK

Export via OAI-PMH Interface in XML Formats


OR


Export to Other Non-XML Formats