File Download

There are no files associated with this item.

  Links for fulltext
     (May Require Subscription)
Supplementary

Article: Urinary retention after haemorrhoidectomy: Impact of stapled haemorrhoidectomy

TitleUrinary retention after haemorrhoidectomy: Impact of stapled haemorrhoidectomy
Authors
KeywordsStapled haemorrhoidectomy
Urine retention
Issue Date2006
PublisherElsevier (Singapore) Pte Ltd, Hong Kong Branch. The Journal's web site is located at http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/708511/description#description
Citation
Asian Journal Of Surgery, 2006, v. 29 n. 4, p. 233-237 How to Cite?
AbstractOBJECTIVE: Urinary retention is a common complication following haemorrhoidectomy. Stapled haemorrhoidectomy (SH) is associated with less postoperative pain, but whethet or not this can reduce the incidence of urinary retention has not been evaluated. This study aimed to compare the incidence of urinary retention in patients treated with SH with those treated with conventional haemorrhoidectomy (CH). METHODS: Charts of patients who underwent haemorrhoidectomy between May 2000 and March 2003 were reviewed. Data on demographics of patients, operative procedures, modes of anaesthesia, postoperative hospital stay and morbidities including urinary retention were collected. Factors that might affect the incidence of urinary retention were analysed by univariate and multivariate analyses. RESULTS: During the study period, 204 patients (100 men and 104 women; mean age, 49 years; age range, 20-82 years) underwent haemorrhoidectomy. SH was performed in 90 (44.1%) patients while the other 114 (55.9%) had CH. Seventy patients (34.3%) were operated on as day cases. One hundred and1 seventeen (57.4%) patients underwent surgery under general anaesthesia and 87 (42.6%) were operated on under spinal anaesthesia. Urinary retention occurred in 31 patients (seven with SH and 24 with CH, p = 0.009). Logistic regression showed that general anaesthesia (p = 0.044; odds ratio [OR], 2.43; 95% confidence interval [CI], 1.02-5.97) and SH (p = 0.046; OR, 2.66; 95% CI, 1.02-7.00) were independent factors associated with a lower incidence of urinary retention. CONCLUSION: The incidence of urinary retention following haemorrhoidectomy was 15.2%. General anaesthesia and SH were independent significant factors associated with a lower incidence of urinary retention. © 2006 Elsevier. All rights reserved.
Persistent Identifierhttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/83764
ISSN
2015 Impact Factor: 0.912
2015 SCImago Journal Rankings: 0.427
ISI Accession Number ID
References

 

DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorChik, Ben_HK
dc.contributor.authorLaw, WLen_HK
dc.contributor.authorChoi, HKen_HK
dc.date.accessioned2010-09-06T08:44:56Z-
dc.date.available2010-09-06T08:44:56Z-
dc.date.issued2006en_HK
dc.identifier.citationAsian Journal Of Surgery, 2006, v. 29 n. 4, p. 233-237en_HK
dc.identifier.issn1015-9584en_HK
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/83764-
dc.description.abstractOBJECTIVE: Urinary retention is a common complication following haemorrhoidectomy. Stapled haemorrhoidectomy (SH) is associated with less postoperative pain, but whethet or not this can reduce the incidence of urinary retention has not been evaluated. This study aimed to compare the incidence of urinary retention in patients treated with SH with those treated with conventional haemorrhoidectomy (CH). METHODS: Charts of patients who underwent haemorrhoidectomy between May 2000 and March 2003 were reviewed. Data on demographics of patients, operative procedures, modes of anaesthesia, postoperative hospital stay and morbidities including urinary retention were collected. Factors that might affect the incidence of urinary retention were analysed by univariate and multivariate analyses. RESULTS: During the study period, 204 patients (100 men and 104 women; mean age, 49 years; age range, 20-82 years) underwent haemorrhoidectomy. SH was performed in 90 (44.1%) patients while the other 114 (55.9%) had CH. Seventy patients (34.3%) were operated on as day cases. One hundred and1 seventeen (57.4%) patients underwent surgery under general anaesthesia and 87 (42.6%) were operated on under spinal anaesthesia. Urinary retention occurred in 31 patients (seven with SH and 24 with CH, p = 0.009). Logistic regression showed that general anaesthesia (p = 0.044; odds ratio [OR], 2.43; 95% confidence interval [CI], 1.02-5.97) and SH (p = 0.046; OR, 2.66; 95% CI, 1.02-7.00) were independent factors associated with a lower incidence of urinary retention. CONCLUSION: The incidence of urinary retention following haemorrhoidectomy was 15.2%. General anaesthesia and SH were independent significant factors associated with a lower incidence of urinary retention. © 2006 Elsevier. All rights reserved.en_HK
dc.languageengen_HK
dc.publisherElsevier (Singapore) Pte Ltd, Hong Kong Branch. The Journal's web site is located at http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/708511/description#descriptionen_HK
dc.relation.ispartofAsian Journal of Surgeryen_HK
dc.subjectStapled haemorrhoidectomyen_HK
dc.subjectUrine retentionen_HK
dc.subject.meshAnalysis of Variance-
dc.subject.meshHemorrhoids - surgery-
dc.subject.meshPostoperative Complications-
dc.subject.meshSurgical Staplers-
dc.subject.meshUrinary Retention - epidemiology - etiology - prevention and control-
dc.titleUrinary retention after haemorrhoidectomy: Impact of stapled haemorrhoidectomyen_HK
dc.typeArticleen_HK
dc.identifier.emailLaw, WL: lawwl@hkucc.hku.hken_HK
dc.identifier.authorityLaw, WL=rp00436en_HK
dc.description.naturelink_to_subscribed_fulltext-
dc.identifier.doi10.1016/S1015-9584(09)60094-4-
dc.identifier.pmid17098654-
dc.identifier.scopuseid_2-s2.0-33750721673en_HK
dc.identifier.hkuros126601-
dc.relation.referenceshttp://www.scopus.com/mlt/select.url?eid=2-s2.0-33750721673&selection=ref&src=s&origin=recordpageen_HK
dc.identifier.volume29en_HK
dc.identifier.issue4en_HK
dc.identifier.spage233en_HK
dc.identifier.epage237en_HK
dc.identifier.isiWOS:000243223800004-
dc.publisher.placeHong Kongen_HK
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridChik, B=15764573900en_HK
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridLaw, WL=7103147867en_HK
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridChoi, HK=7404339913en_HK

Export via OAI-PMH Interface in XML Formats


OR


Export to Other Non-XML Formats