File Download

There are no files associated with this item.

  Links for fulltext
     (May Require Subscription)
Supplementary

Article: Acute biliary pancreatitis: Diagnosis and management

TitleAcute biliary pancreatitis: Diagnosis and management
Authors
Issue Date1997
PublisherSpringer New York LLC. The Journal's web site is located at http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00268/
Citation
World Journal Of Surgery, 1997, v. 21 n. 2, p. 149-154 How to Cite?
AbstractAcute biliary pancreatitis is a serious complication of biliary calculous disease and is associated with significant morbidity and mortality. The role of endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) in the management of acute biliary pancreatitis has been the focus of discussion in recent years. In addition, the exact role of laparoscopic cholecystectomy (LC) in the management of acute biliary pancreatitis has not yet been fully defined. In this report, we evaluated a protocol of emergency ERCP (within 24 hours) for predicted severe attacks, early ERCP (within 72 hours) for predicted mild attacks, and interval LC for management of acute biliary pancreatitis. Between January 1992 and June 1995 a total of 75 patients with acute biliary pancreatitis were managed according to the protocol. Bedside ultrasonography at admission diagnosed 94% of all 64 patients with gallbladder stones, but the sensitivity of visualizing choledocholithiasis was low (19%). Forty-five (60%) of them were predicted to have a severe attack by either Ranson or glucose/urea criteria. Emergency ERCP and endoscopic sphincterotomy (ES) for identifiable common bile duct (CBD) or ampullary stones were performed on all patients predicted to have a severe attack within 24 hours from presentation. An early endoscopic procedure was performed on all patients predicted to have a mild attack within 72 hours from presentation. ERCP was successful in 95% of all patients, and CBD stones were detected in 52 (69%) of them. ES and stone clearance were successful in all of these 52 patients. The morbidity associated with the endoscopic procedure was 3%, and there were no deaths. All except one patient survived the attack of acute pancreatitis, resulting in an overall mortality of 1%. Interval LC was performed on 46 patients with a conversion rate of 4%. The median postoperative hospital stay abet LC was 2 days, and there was no major intraoperative or postoperative morbidity or mortality. Our experience suggests that the policy of emergency ERCP for patients with predicted severe disease, early ERCP for patients with predicted mild disease, and interval LC are associated with favorable outcomes in patients with acute biliary pancreatitis. Acute biliary pancreatitis can be managed safely and effectively by a combined endoscopic and laparoscopic approach.
Persistent Identifierhttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/83288
ISSN
2015 Impact Factor: 2.523
2015 SCImago Journal Rankings: 1.375
ISI Accession Number ID
References

 

DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorLiu, CLen_HK
dc.contributor.authorLo, CMen_HK
dc.contributor.authorFan, STen_HK
dc.date.accessioned2010-09-06T08:39:14Z-
dc.date.available2010-09-06T08:39:14Z-
dc.date.issued1997en_HK
dc.identifier.citationWorld Journal Of Surgery, 1997, v. 21 n. 2, p. 149-154en_HK
dc.identifier.issn0364-2313en_HK
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/83288-
dc.description.abstractAcute biliary pancreatitis is a serious complication of biliary calculous disease and is associated with significant morbidity and mortality. The role of endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) in the management of acute biliary pancreatitis has been the focus of discussion in recent years. In addition, the exact role of laparoscopic cholecystectomy (LC) in the management of acute biliary pancreatitis has not yet been fully defined. In this report, we evaluated a protocol of emergency ERCP (within 24 hours) for predicted severe attacks, early ERCP (within 72 hours) for predicted mild attacks, and interval LC for management of acute biliary pancreatitis. Between January 1992 and June 1995 a total of 75 patients with acute biliary pancreatitis were managed according to the protocol. Bedside ultrasonography at admission diagnosed 94% of all 64 patients with gallbladder stones, but the sensitivity of visualizing choledocholithiasis was low (19%). Forty-five (60%) of them were predicted to have a severe attack by either Ranson or glucose/urea criteria. Emergency ERCP and endoscopic sphincterotomy (ES) for identifiable common bile duct (CBD) or ampullary stones were performed on all patients predicted to have a severe attack within 24 hours from presentation. An early endoscopic procedure was performed on all patients predicted to have a mild attack within 72 hours from presentation. ERCP was successful in 95% of all patients, and CBD stones were detected in 52 (69%) of them. ES and stone clearance were successful in all of these 52 patients. The morbidity associated with the endoscopic procedure was 3%, and there were no deaths. All except one patient survived the attack of acute pancreatitis, resulting in an overall mortality of 1%. Interval LC was performed on 46 patients with a conversion rate of 4%. The median postoperative hospital stay abet LC was 2 days, and there was no major intraoperative or postoperative morbidity or mortality. Our experience suggests that the policy of emergency ERCP for patients with predicted severe disease, early ERCP for patients with predicted mild disease, and interval LC are associated with favorable outcomes in patients with acute biliary pancreatitis. Acute biliary pancreatitis can be managed safely and effectively by a combined endoscopic and laparoscopic approach.en_HK
dc.languageengen_HK
dc.publisherSpringer New York LLC. The Journal's web site is located at http://link.springer.de/link/service/journals/00268/en_HK
dc.relation.ispartofWorld Journal of Surgeryen_HK
dc.titleAcute biliary pancreatitis: Diagnosis and managementen_HK
dc.typeArticleen_HK
dc.identifier.openurlhttp://library.hku.hk:4550/resserv?sid=HKU:IR&issn=0364-2313&volume=21&spage=149&epage=154&date=1997&atitle=Acute+biliary+pancreatitis+-+diagnosis+and+managementen_HK
dc.identifier.emailLo, CM: chungmlo@hkucc.hku.hken_HK
dc.identifier.emailFan, ST: stfan@hku.hken_HK
dc.identifier.authorityLo, CM=rp00412en_HK
dc.identifier.authorityFan, ST=rp00355en_HK
dc.description.naturelink_to_subscribed_fulltext-
dc.identifier.doi10.1007/s002689900207en_HK
dc.identifier.pmid8995070-
dc.identifier.scopuseid_2-s2.0-0031027558en_HK
dc.identifier.hkuros24230en_HK
dc.relation.referenceshttp://www.scopus.com/mlt/select.url?eid=2-s2.0-0031027558&selection=ref&src=s&origin=recordpageen_HK
dc.identifier.volume21en_HK
dc.identifier.issue2en_HK
dc.identifier.spage149en_HK
dc.identifier.epage154en_HK
dc.identifier.isiWOS:A1997WE65700005-
dc.publisher.placeUnited Statesen_HK
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridLiu, CL=7409789712en_HK
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridLo, CM=7401771672en_HK
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridFan, ST=7402678224en_HK

Export via OAI-PMH Interface in XML Formats


OR


Export to Other Non-XML Formats