File Download
  Links for fulltext
     (May Require Subscription)

Article: Genetic variations in familial hypercholesterolemia and cascade screening in East Asians

TitleGenetic variations in familial hypercholesterolemia and cascade screening in East Asians
Authors
Issue Date2019
PublisherWiley Open Access. The Journal's web site is located at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)2324-9269
Citation
Molecular Genetics & Genomic Medicine, 2019, v. 7 n. 2, p. e00520 How to Cite?
AbstractBACKGROUND: Familial hypercholesterolemia (FH) is a monogenic disorder of lipoprotein metabolism leading to an increased risk of premature cardiovascular disease. Genetic testing for FH is not commonly used in Asian countries. We aimed to define the genetic spectrum of FH in Hong Kong and to test the feasibility of cascade genetic screening. METHODS: Ninety-six Chinese subjects with a clinical diagnosis of FH were recruited, and family-based cascade screening incorporating genetic testing results was performed. RESULTS: Forty-two distinct mutations were identified in 67% of the index FH cases. The majority of causative mutations were in the LDLR gene. The three commonest mutations in the LDLR gene were NM_000527.4(LDLR): c.1241 T>G, NM_000527.4(LDLR): c.1474G>A, and NM_000527.4(LDLR): c. 682G>A, and nine novel variants were identified. The NM_000384.2(APOB): c.10579 C>T variant of the APOB gene was found in 5% of the index subjects. The presence of causative mutation significantly increased the odds of successful family recruitment for screening with an OR of 3.7 (95% CI: 1.53-9.11, p = 0.004). CONCLUSION: Approximately two-third of the subjects in this clinically ascertained sample of patients with FH had a discrete genetic basis. Genetic identification improves the response rate and efficiency of family screening.
Persistent Identifierhttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/269436
ISSN
2017 Impact Factor: 2.695

 

DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorChan, ML-
dc.contributor.authorCheung, CL-
dc.contributor.authorLee, CHA-
dc.contributor.authorYeung, CY-
dc.contributor.authorSiu, DCW-
dc.contributor.authorLeung, JY-
dc.contributor.authorPang, HK-
dc.contributor.authorTan, KCB-
dc.date.accessioned2019-04-24T08:07:40Z-
dc.date.available2019-04-24T08:07:40Z-
dc.date.issued2019-
dc.identifier.citationMolecular Genetics & Genomic Medicine, 2019, v. 7 n. 2, p. e00520-
dc.identifier.issn2324-9269-
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/269436-
dc.description.abstractBACKGROUND: Familial hypercholesterolemia (FH) is a monogenic disorder of lipoprotein metabolism leading to an increased risk of premature cardiovascular disease. Genetic testing for FH is not commonly used in Asian countries. We aimed to define the genetic spectrum of FH in Hong Kong and to test the feasibility of cascade genetic screening. METHODS: Ninety-six Chinese subjects with a clinical diagnosis of FH were recruited, and family-based cascade screening incorporating genetic testing results was performed. RESULTS: Forty-two distinct mutations were identified in 67% of the index FH cases. The majority of causative mutations were in the LDLR gene. The three commonest mutations in the LDLR gene were NM_000527.4(LDLR): c.1241 T>G, NM_000527.4(LDLR): c.1474G>A, and NM_000527.4(LDLR): c. 682G>A, and nine novel variants were identified. The NM_000384.2(APOB): c.10579 C>T variant of the APOB gene was found in 5% of the index subjects. The presence of causative mutation significantly increased the odds of successful family recruitment for screening with an OR of 3.7 (95% CI: 1.53-9.11, p = 0.004). CONCLUSION: Approximately two-third of the subjects in this clinically ascertained sample of patients with FH had a discrete genetic basis. Genetic identification improves the response rate and efficiency of family screening.-
dc.languageeng-
dc.publisherWiley Open Access. The Journal's web site is located at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)2324-9269-
dc.relation.ispartofMolecular Genetics & Genomic Medicine-
dc.rightsThis work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.-
dc.titleGenetic variations in familial hypercholesterolemia and cascade screening in East Asians-
dc.typeArticle-
dc.identifier.emailCheung, CL: lung1212@hku.hk-
dc.identifier.emailLee, CHA: achlee@hku.hk-
dc.identifier.emailYeung, CY: ycy167@hku.hk-
dc.identifier.emailSiu, DCW: cwdsiu@hkucc.hku.hk-
dc.identifier.emailTan, KCB: kcbtan@hkucc.hku.hk-
dc.identifier.authorityCheung, CL=rp01749-
dc.identifier.authoritySiu, DCW=rp00534-
dc.identifier.authorityTan, KCB=rp00402-
dc.description.naturepublished_or_final_version-
dc.identifier.doi10.1002/mgg3.520-
dc.identifier.hkuros297362-
dc.identifier.volume7-
dc.identifier.issue2-
dc.identifier.spagee00520-
dc.identifier.epagee00520-
dc.publisher.placeUnited Kingdom-

Export via OAI-PMH Interface in XML Formats


OR


Export to Other Non-XML Formats