File Download

There are no files associated with this item.

  Links for fulltext
     (May Require Subscription)
Supplementary

Article: A phase II study of capecitabine in patients with recurrent and metastatic nasopharyngeal carcinoma pretreated with platinum-based chemotherapy

TitleA phase II study of capecitabine in patients with recurrent and metastatic nasopharyngeal carcinoma pretreated with platinum-based chemotherapy
Authors
Issue Date2003
PublisherPergamon. The Journal's web site is located at http://www.elsevier.com/locate/oraloncology
Citation
Oral Oncology, 2003, v. 39 n. 4, p. 361-366 How to Cite?
AbstractTo evaluate the efficacy and toxicity of capecitabine as a salvage chemotherapy regimen in Chinese patients with recurrent or metastatic nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC) previously treated with platinum-based chemotherapy, 17 patients with recurrent or metastatic NPC previously treated with platinum-based chemotherapy as adjuvant or palliative treatments received oral capecitabine at a dose of 1.25 G/m2 twice daily in 3-week cycles consisting of 2 weeks of treatment followed by rest period of 1 week. Seven patients had local recurrence, seven had distant metastases, one had loco-regional recurrence, and two had both local/regional recurrence and distant metastases. Patients received a median number of three cycles of capecitabine (range: 1–6). The median follow-up was 7.5 months (range: 3–25.3). All patients were included in the efficacy and adverse events analysis. Three patients (17.6%) achieved partial response and one patient (5.9%) achieved complete response, with an overall response rate of 23.5% (95% confidence interval, 7–50%). The duration of response's were 4.2, 5, 6+, and 23.1+ months. Nine patients (52.9%) had stable disease whereas four (23.5%) had progressive disease. The median time to progression was 4.9 months. The median survival was 7.6 months. Five patients are still alive with an estimated 1-year survival rate of 35%. Treatment-related adverse events were generally mild except hand–foot syndrome which occurred in 58.8% of patients. Capecitabine is an effective salvage regimen in patients with recurrent and metastatic NPC. Capecitabine as a single agent or in combination with other chemotherapeutic agents or treatment modalities should be further studied in NPC.
Persistent Identifierhttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/222201
ISSN
2015 Impact Factor: 4.286
2015 SCImago Journal Rankings: 1.764

 

DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorChua, DTT-
dc.contributor.authorSham, JST-
dc.contributor.authorAu, GKH-
dc.date.accessioned2016-01-04T06:49:14Z-
dc.date.available2016-01-04T06:49:14Z-
dc.date.issued2003-
dc.identifier.citationOral Oncology, 2003, v. 39 n. 4, p. 361-366-
dc.identifier.issn1368-8375-
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/222201-
dc.description.abstractTo evaluate the efficacy and toxicity of capecitabine as a salvage chemotherapy regimen in Chinese patients with recurrent or metastatic nasopharyngeal carcinoma (NPC) previously treated with platinum-based chemotherapy, 17 patients with recurrent or metastatic NPC previously treated with platinum-based chemotherapy as adjuvant or palliative treatments received oral capecitabine at a dose of 1.25 G/m2 twice daily in 3-week cycles consisting of 2 weeks of treatment followed by rest period of 1 week. Seven patients had local recurrence, seven had distant metastases, one had loco-regional recurrence, and two had both local/regional recurrence and distant metastases. Patients received a median number of three cycles of capecitabine (range: 1–6). The median follow-up was 7.5 months (range: 3–25.3). All patients were included in the efficacy and adverse events analysis. Three patients (17.6%) achieved partial response and one patient (5.9%) achieved complete response, with an overall response rate of 23.5% (95% confidence interval, 7–50%). The duration of response's were 4.2, 5, 6+, and 23.1+ months. Nine patients (52.9%) had stable disease whereas four (23.5%) had progressive disease. The median time to progression was 4.9 months. The median survival was 7.6 months. Five patients are still alive with an estimated 1-year survival rate of 35%. Treatment-related adverse events were generally mild except hand–foot syndrome which occurred in 58.8% of patients. Capecitabine is an effective salvage regimen in patients with recurrent and metastatic NPC. Capecitabine as a single agent or in combination with other chemotherapeutic agents or treatment modalities should be further studied in NPC.-
dc.languageeng-
dc.publisherPergamon. The Journal's web site is located at http://www.elsevier.com/locate/oraloncology-
dc.relation.ispartofOral Oncology-
dc.rights© <year>. This manuscript version is made available under the CC-BY-NC-ND 4.0 license http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/4.0/-
dc.subject.meshAntineoplastic Agents - adverse effects - therapeutic use-
dc.subject.meshCisplatin - therapeutic use-
dc.subject.meshDeoxycytidine - adverse effects - analogs & derivatives - therapeutic use-
dc.subject.meshNasopharyngeal Neoplasms - drug therapy - mortality-
dc.subject.meshNeoplasm Recurrence, Local - drug therapy - mortality-
dc.titleA phase II study of capecitabine in patients with recurrent and metastatic nasopharyngeal carcinoma pretreated with platinum-based chemotherapy-
dc.typeArticle-
dc.identifier.emailChua, DTT: dttchua@hkucc.hku.hk-
dc.identifier.emailSham, JST: jstsham@hku.hk-
dc.identifier.authorityChua, DTT=rp00415-
dc.identifier.doi10.1016/S1368-8375(02)00120-3-
dc.identifier.pmid12676255-
dc.identifier.hkuros81518-
dc.identifier.volume39-
dc.identifier.issue4-
dc.identifier.spage361-
dc.identifier.epage366-
dc.publisher.placeUnited Kingdom-

Export via OAI-PMH Interface in XML Formats


OR


Export to Other Non-XML Formats