File Download

There are no files associated with this item.

  Links for fulltext
     (May Require Subscription)
  • Find via Find It@HKUL
Supplementary

Conference Paper: To Scale, or not to Scale? Willingness-To-Accept Non-Surgical Periodontal Treatment

TitleTo Scale, or not to Scale? Willingness-To-Accept Non-Surgical Periodontal Treatment
Authors
KeywordsAcceptance
Behavioral science
Decision-making
Economics and Periodontal disease
Issue Date2013
PublisherSage Publications, Inc. The Journal's web site is located at http://www.sagepub.com/journalsProdDesc.nav?prodId=Journal201925
Citation
The 2nd Meeting of the International Association of Dental Research - Asia Pacific Region (IADR-APR), Bangkok, Thailand, 21-23 August 2013. In Journal of Dental Research, 2013, v. 92 n. Special Issue B: abstract no. 421 How to Cite?
AbstractObjective: To determine the willingness-to-accept (WTA) value of non-surgical periodontal treatment (NSPT) based on the chance of success; in addition, to identify factors associated with WTA values. Method: A stratified quota sample of 400 subjects formed a judging ‘panel’. The panel provided value judgments for their willingness-to-accept NSPT based on derived clinical scenarios of chronic generalized moderate periodontitis (pre- and post-treatment), and relative to percentage of ‘treatment success’. In addition, socio-demographic, oral health behavior and other oral health utility values were obtained. Result: At 100% chance of success and 0% chance of failure, all would accept NSPT. At <10% chance of success and >90% risk of treatment failure, 16.0% (64) would opt for NSPT. Where there was 50% chance of success and 50% chance of failure, 50.8% (223) would be willing-to-accept NSPT. Bivariate analysis identified that WTA values were associated with socio-demographic factors (age and income level); oral health behavior (tooth brushing, interdental cleaning and use of anti-plaque toothpaste) and other health utility values (willingness-to-pay for NSPT, willingness-to-visit the dentist and willingness-to-perform oral hygiene). Regression analysis confirmed that WTA values were associated with socio-demographic factors, oral health behavior factors and oral health utility values. Conclusion: The willingness to accept NSPT is based on a chance of success similar to the outcome of flipping a coin (50:50). Where there is 50% chance of success (and 50% chance of failure), approximately 50% of the subjects were willing-to-accept the treatment. WTA values are related to socio-demographic and behavioral factors, as well as other oral health utility values.
DescriptionConference Theme: We are the Future
Oral Presentation
Session 22: P2
Persistent Identifierhttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/192581
ISSN
2015 Impact Factor: 4.602
2015 SCImago Journal Rankings: 1.714

 

DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorChan, RYLen_US
dc.contributor.authorChan, TCLen_US
dc.contributor.authorChan, HYen_US
dc.contributor.authorLam, LTen_US
dc.contributor.authorLam, YLen_US
dc.contributor.authorLi, STen_US
dc.contributor.authorPoon, CPen_US
dc.contributor.authorTse, WLen_US
dc.contributor.authorMcGrath, CPJen_US
dc.date.accessioned2013-11-18T05:06:49Z-
dc.date.available2013-11-18T05:06:49Z-
dc.date.issued2013en_US
dc.identifier.citationThe 2nd Meeting of the International Association of Dental Research - Asia Pacific Region (IADR-APR), Bangkok, Thailand, 21-23 August 2013. In Journal of Dental Research, 2013, v. 92 n. Special Issue B: abstract no. 421en_US
dc.identifier.issn0022-0345-
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/192581-
dc.descriptionConference Theme: We are the Future-
dc.descriptionOral Presentation-
dc.descriptionSession 22: P2-
dc.description.abstractObjective: To determine the willingness-to-accept (WTA) value of non-surgical periodontal treatment (NSPT) based on the chance of success; in addition, to identify factors associated with WTA values. Method: A stratified quota sample of 400 subjects formed a judging ‘panel’. The panel provided value judgments for their willingness-to-accept NSPT based on derived clinical scenarios of chronic generalized moderate periodontitis (pre- and post-treatment), and relative to percentage of ‘treatment success’. In addition, socio-demographic, oral health behavior and other oral health utility values were obtained. Result: At 100% chance of success and 0% chance of failure, all would accept NSPT. At <10% chance of success and >90% risk of treatment failure, 16.0% (64) would opt for NSPT. Where there was 50% chance of success and 50% chance of failure, 50.8% (223) would be willing-to-accept NSPT. Bivariate analysis identified that WTA values were associated with socio-demographic factors (age and income level); oral health behavior (tooth brushing, interdental cleaning and use of anti-plaque toothpaste) and other health utility values (willingness-to-pay for NSPT, willingness-to-visit the dentist and willingness-to-perform oral hygiene). Regression analysis confirmed that WTA values were associated with socio-demographic factors, oral health behavior factors and oral health utility values. Conclusion: The willingness to accept NSPT is based on a chance of success similar to the outcome of flipping a coin (50:50). Where there is 50% chance of success (and 50% chance of failure), approximately 50% of the subjects were willing-to-accept the treatment. WTA values are related to socio-demographic and behavioral factors, as well as other oral health utility values.-
dc.languageengen_US
dc.publisherSage Publications, Inc. The Journal's web site is located at http://www.sagepub.com/journalsProdDesc.nav?prodId=Journal201925-
dc.relation.ispartofJournal of Dental Researchen_US
dc.rightsJournal of Dental Research. Copyright © Sage Publications, Inc.-
dc.subjectAcceptance-
dc.subjectBehavioral science-
dc.subjectDecision-making-
dc.subjectEconomics and Periodontal disease-
dc.titleTo Scale, or not to Scale? Willingness-To-Accept Non-Surgical Periodontal Treatmenten_US
dc.typeConference_Paperen_US
dc.identifier.emailMcGrath, CPJ: mcgrathc@hkucc.hku.hken_US
dc.identifier.authorityMcGrath, CPJ=rp00037en_US
dc.identifier.hkuros226811en_US
dc.identifier.volume92en_US
dc.identifier.issueSpecial Issue B: abstract no. 421en_US
dc.publisher.placeUnited States-

Export via OAI-PMH Interface in XML Formats


OR


Export to Other Non-XML Formats