File Download

There are no files associated with this item.

  Links for fulltext
     (May Require Subscription)
Supplementary

Article: Detection of immunoglobulin gene rearrangement in B-cell lymphomas by polymerase chain reaction gene amplification

TitleDetection of immunoglobulin gene rearrangement in B-cell lymphomas by polymerase chain reaction gene amplification
Authors
Issue Date1992
PublisherJohn Wiley & Sons Ltd. The Journal's web site is located at http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/3182
Citation
Hematological Oncology, 1992, v. 10 n. 3-4, p. 149-154 How to Cite?
AbstractThis is a report on our attempt to use polymerase chain reaction (PCR) to detect rearrangement of the immunoglobulin gene in the tissue specimens obtained from 30 patients with non-Hodgkin's lymphomas. There were 20 B-cell lymphomas and 10 T-cell. All 20 B-cell lymphomas but none of the 10 T-cell lymphomas had JH rearrangement by Southern analysis. Two pairs of primers (V670/OL-4 and VH26/OL-4) were designed to amplify the CD3 region of the immunoglobulin gene heavy chain. The PCR analysis was positive using either one or both pairs of primers in 11 of the 20 cases (55 per cent) of B-cell lymphomas which all had positive rearrangement by Southern analysis. The two pairs of primers seemed to produce complementary results as the specimens may be positive to one pair but negative to the other. The false negative rate of 45 per cent is however much higher than the respective figures of 18 per cent and 0 per cent observed in our patients with acute lymphoblastic leukemia and chronic lymphocytic leukemia in a previous study. Peripheral blood and bone marrow biopsy specimens obtained at the time of initial diagnosis were available from 10 patients with B-cell lymphomas whose lymph node biopsy specimens at the time of diagnosis were positive by both Southern analysis and PCR. All these peripheral blood and marrow specimens had no microscopic evidence of involvement by lymphoma cells and JH rearrangement was not detected by Southern analysis. However, rearranged bands identical to that of the lymph node biopsy specimen were detected by PCR in the peripheral and marrow blood of one of them. This PCR technique has been shown to have a sensitivity of 0.1 per cent in our previous report and may be more useful than morphology alone or Southern analysis in detecting minimal lymphomatous involvement in the peripheral blood and bone marrow at the time of initial diagnosis. Further clinical correlation is required to confirm the finding.
Persistent Identifierhttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/161951
ISSN
2015 Impact Factor: 3.494
2015 SCImago Journal Rankings: 0.767
ISI Accession Number ID

 

DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorLiang, Ren_US
dc.contributor.authorChan, Ven_US
dc.contributor.authorChan, TKen_US
dc.contributor.authorWong, Ten_US
dc.contributor.authorTodd, Den_US
dc.date.accessioned2012-09-05T05:16:15Z-
dc.date.available2012-09-05T05:16:15Z-
dc.date.issued1992en_US
dc.identifier.citationHematological Oncology, 1992, v. 10 n. 3-4, p. 149-154en_US
dc.identifier.issn0278-0232en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/161951-
dc.description.abstractThis is a report on our attempt to use polymerase chain reaction (PCR) to detect rearrangement of the immunoglobulin gene in the tissue specimens obtained from 30 patients with non-Hodgkin's lymphomas. There were 20 B-cell lymphomas and 10 T-cell. All 20 B-cell lymphomas but none of the 10 T-cell lymphomas had JH rearrangement by Southern analysis. Two pairs of primers (V670/OL-4 and VH26/OL-4) were designed to amplify the CD3 region of the immunoglobulin gene heavy chain. The PCR analysis was positive using either one or both pairs of primers in 11 of the 20 cases (55 per cent) of B-cell lymphomas which all had positive rearrangement by Southern analysis. The two pairs of primers seemed to produce complementary results as the specimens may be positive to one pair but negative to the other. The false negative rate of 45 per cent is however much higher than the respective figures of 18 per cent and 0 per cent observed in our patients with acute lymphoblastic leukemia and chronic lymphocytic leukemia in a previous study. Peripheral blood and bone marrow biopsy specimens obtained at the time of initial diagnosis were available from 10 patients with B-cell lymphomas whose lymph node biopsy specimens at the time of diagnosis were positive by both Southern analysis and PCR. All these peripheral blood and marrow specimens had no microscopic evidence of involvement by lymphoma cells and JH rearrangement was not detected by Southern analysis. However, rearranged bands identical to that of the lymph node biopsy specimen were detected by PCR in the peripheral and marrow blood of one of them. This PCR technique has been shown to have a sensitivity of 0.1 per cent in our previous report and may be more useful than morphology alone or Southern analysis in detecting minimal lymphomatous involvement in the peripheral blood and bone marrow at the time of initial diagnosis. Further clinical correlation is required to confirm the finding.en_US
dc.languageengen_US
dc.publisherJohn Wiley & Sons Ltd. The Journal's web site is located at http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/3182en_US
dc.relation.ispartofHematological Oncologyen_US
dc.subject.meshBase Sequenceen_US
dc.subject.meshBiopsyen_US
dc.subject.meshBlotting, Southernen_US
dc.subject.meshBone Marrow - Pathologyen_US
dc.subject.meshDna, Neoplasm - Geneticsen_US
dc.subject.meshGene Amplificationen_US
dc.subject.meshGene Rearrangement, B-Lymphocyte - Geneticsen_US
dc.subject.meshGene Rearrangement, B-Lymphocyte, Heavy Chain - Geneticsen_US
dc.subject.meshGenes, Immunoglobulin - Geneticsen_US
dc.subject.meshHumansen_US
dc.subject.meshLymph Nodes - Pathologyen_US
dc.subject.meshLymphoma, B-Cell - Genetics - Pathologyen_US
dc.subject.meshLymphoma, T-Cell - Genetics - Pathologyen_US
dc.subject.meshMolecular Sequence Dataen_US
dc.subject.meshPolymerase Chain Reactionen_US
dc.titleDetection of immunoglobulin gene rearrangement in B-cell lymphomas by polymerase chain reaction gene amplificationen_US
dc.typeArticleen_US
dc.identifier.emailLiang, R:rliang@hku.hken_US
dc.identifier.emailChan, V:vnychana@hkucc.hku.hken_US
dc.identifier.authorityLiang, R=rp00345en_US
dc.identifier.authorityChan, V=rp00320en_US
dc.description.naturelink_to_subscribed_fulltexten_US
dc.identifier.doi10.1002/hon.2900100304en_US
dc.identifier.pmid1398511-
dc.identifier.scopuseid_2-s2.0-0026761873en_US
dc.identifier.volume10en_US
dc.identifier.issue3-4en_US
dc.identifier.spage149en_US
dc.identifier.epage154en_US
dc.identifier.isiWOS:A1992JU20700003-
dc.publisher.placeUnited Kingdomen_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridLiang, R=26643224900en_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridChan, V=7202654865en_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridChan, TK=7402687762en_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridWong, T=7403531434en_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridTodd, D=7201388182en_US

Export via OAI-PMH Interface in XML Formats


OR


Export to Other Non-XML Formats