File Download

There are no files associated with this item.

  Links for fulltext
     (May Require Subscription)
Supplementary

Article: Clinical course of chronic periodontitis: III. Patterns, variations and risks of attachment loss

TitleClinical course of chronic periodontitis: III. Patterns, variations and risks of attachment loss
Authors
Issue Date2003
PublisherBlackwell Munksgaard. The Journal's web site is located at http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journals/CPE
Citation
Journal Of Clinical Periodontology, 2003, v. 30 n. 10, p. 909-918 How to Cite?
AbstractAim: The purpose of this study was to assess the rate of attachment loss during various stages of adult life in a well-maintained middle-class population. Material and Methods: The data originated from a 26-year longitudinal study of Norwegian males who had received regular and adequate dental care and practised daily oral home care. The initial examination in 1969 included 565 individuals aged between 16 and 34 years. Subsequent examinations took place in 1971, 1973, 1975, 1981, 1988 and 1995. Thus, the study covers the age range of 16-59 years. The rate of the annual attachment loss was calculated as the difference between the individual mean attachment loss between two examinations divided by the years between examinations. The mean annualized relative risk of attachment loss was calculated as the frequency distribution of sites with initial periodontal attachment loss (loss of attachment at the first time of occurrence ≥ 2 mm) and healthy sites (loss of attachment always < 2 mm). For comparison of significant changes in annual attachment loss rates between the age groups and mean annualized relative risks of attachment loss as they proceeded through adult life, the Wilcoxon Mann-Whitney U-test was used. Results: The mean overall individual attachment loss during 44 years (between 16 and 59 years) totaled 2.44 mm (range 0.14-2.44 mm), averaging an annual mean rate of 0.05 mm/year. The highest annual rate of attachment loss occurred before 35 years of age (0.08-0.1 mm/year), after which the mean annual rate decreased to about 0.04-0.06 mm/year for the next three decades of life leading to 60 years. The mean annualized relative risk of initial attachment loss increased significantly from adolescence (1.2%) to the maximum at 30-34 years of age (6.9%). After the age of 34 years, the risk of initial attachment loss decreased again, but after the age of 40 years, another continuous increase was observed. Conclusions: Over a 26-year period, 25% of the subjects went through adult life with healthy and stable periodontal conditions. The remaining 75% developed slight to moderately progressing periodontal disease with progression rates varying between 0.02 and 0.1 mm/year with a cumulative mean of loss of attachment of 2.44 mm as they approached 60 years of age. The annual mean rate and the mean annualized risk of initial attachment loss were highest between 16 and 34 years of age. Only 20% of the sites continued to lose further attachment during the remainder of the observation period, and less than 1% of the sites showed substantial loss of attachment (> 4 mm).
Persistent Identifierhttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/154260
ISSN
2015 Impact Factor: 3.915
2015 SCImago Journal Rankings: 1.848
ISI Accession Number ID
References

 

DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorSchätzle, Men_US
dc.contributor.authorLöe, Hen_US
dc.contributor.authorLang, NPen_US
dc.contributor.authorHeitzMayfield, LJAen_US
dc.contributor.authorBürgin, Wen_US
dc.contributor.authorÅnerud, Åen_US
dc.contributor.authorBoysen, Hen_US
dc.date.accessioned2012-08-08T08:24:16Z-
dc.date.available2012-08-08T08:24:16Z-
dc.date.issued2003en_US
dc.identifier.citationJournal Of Clinical Periodontology, 2003, v. 30 n. 10, p. 909-918en_US
dc.identifier.issn0303-6979en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/154260-
dc.description.abstractAim: The purpose of this study was to assess the rate of attachment loss during various stages of adult life in a well-maintained middle-class population. Material and Methods: The data originated from a 26-year longitudinal study of Norwegian males who had received regular and adequate dental care and practised daily oral home care. The initial examination in 1969 included 565 individuals aged between 16 and 34 years. Subsequent examinations took place in 1971, 1973, 1975, 1981, 1988 and 1995. Thus, the study covers the age range of 16-59 years. The rate of the annual attachment loss was calculated as the difference between the individual mean attachment loss between two examinations divided by the years between examinations. The mean annualized relative risk of attachment loss was calculated as the frequency distribution of sites with initial periodontal attachment loss (loss of attachment at the first time of occurrence ≥ 2 mm) and healthy sites (loss of attachment always < 2 mm). For comparison of significant changes in annual attachment loss rates between the age groups and mean annualized relative risks of attachment loss as they proceeded through adult life, the Wilcoxon Mann-Whitney U-test was used. Results: The mean overall individual attachment loss during 44 years (between 16 and 59 years) totaled 2.44 mm (range 0.14-2.44 mm), averaging an annual mean rate of 0.05 mm/year. The highest annual rate of attachment loss occurred before 35 years of age (0.08-0.1 mm/year), after which the mean annual rate decreased to about 0.04-0.06 mm/year for the next three decades of life leading to 60 years. The mean annualized relative risk of initial attachment loss increased significantly from adolescence (1.2%) to the maximum at 30-34 years of age (6.9%). After the age of 34 years, the risk of initial attachment loss decreased again, but after the age of 40 years, another continuous increase was observed. Conclusions: Over a 26-year period, 25% of the subjects went through adult life with healthy and stable periodontal conditions. The remaining 75% developed slight to moderately progressing periodontal disease with progression rates varying between 0.02 and 0.1 mm/year with a cumulative mean of loss of attachment of 2.44 mm as they approached 60 years of age. The annual mean rate and the mean annualized risk of initial attachment loss were highest between 16 and 34 years of age. Only 20% of the sites continued to lose further attachment during the remainder of the observation period, and less than 1% of the sites showed substantial loss of attachment (> 4 mm).en_US
dc.languageengen_US
dc.publisherBlackwell Munksgaard. The Journal's web site is located at http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journals/CPEen_US
dc.relation.ispartofJournal of Clinical Periodontologyen_US
dc.subject.meshAdolescenten_US
dc.subject.meshAdulten_US
dc.subject.meshAge Factorsen_US
dc.subject.meshChronic Diseaseen_US
dc.subject.meshDisease Progressionen_US
dc.subject.meshHumansen_US
dc.subject.meshMaleen_US
dc.subject.meshMiddle Ageden_US
dc.subject.meshPeriodontal Attachment Loss - Pathologyen_US
dc.subject.meshPeriodontitis - Pathologyen_US
dc.subject.meshRisken_US
dc.subject.meshStatistics, Nonparametricen_US
dc.titleClinical course of chronic periodontitis: III. Patterns, variations and risks of attachment lossen_US
dc.typeArticleen_US
dc.identifier.emailLang, NP:nplang@hkucc.hku.hken_US
dc.identifier.authorityLang, NP=rp00031en_US
dc.description.naturelink_to_subscribed_fulltexten_US
dc.identifier.doi10.1034/j.1600-051X.2003.00401.xen_US
dc.identifier.pmid14710771-
dc.identifier.scopuseid_2-s2.0-0346284215en_US
dc.relation.referenceshttp://www.scopus.com/mlt/select.url?eid=2-s2.0-0346284215&selection=ref&src=s&origin=recordpageen_US
dc.identifier.volume30en_US
dc.identifier.issue10en_US
dc.identifier.spage909en_US
dc.identifier.epage918en_US
dc.identifier.isiWOS:000185899500009-
dc.publisher.placeDenmarken_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridSchätzle, M=6602163648en_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridLöe, H=8055073100en_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridLang, NP=7201577367en_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridHeitzMayfield, LJA=6602309146en_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridBürgin, W=7003413848en_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridÅnerud, Å=6602840130en_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridBoysen, H=7004836295en_US

Export via OAI-PMH Interface in XML Formats


OR


Export to Other Non-XML Formats