File Download

There are no files associated with this item.

  Links for fulltext
     (May Require Subscription)
Supplementary

Article: Clinical, microbiological and ultrastructural features of angular cheilitis lesions in Southern Chinese.

TitleClinical, microbiological and ultrastructural features of angular cheilitis lesions in Southern Chinese.
Authors
Issue Date1995
PublisherWiley-Blackwell Publishing, Inc. The Journal's web site is located at http://www.wiley.com/bw/journal.asp?ref=1354-523X&site=1
Citation
Oral Diseases, 1995, v. 1 n. 1, p. 43-48 How to Cite?
AbstractOBJECTIVE: To obtain baseline data on angular cheilitis in Southern Chinese. DESIGN: A cross-sectional investigation of the clinical, microbiological and ultrastructural features of the condition. SUBJECTS AND METHOD: Thirty six Chinese adults with angular cheilitis; 28 controls matched for age and sex, with no inflammation. Clinical examination, swabs of lesions for microbiology, impressions of lesions for ultrastructure, using replica technique. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Severity of lesions, associated signs and symptoms, incidence and type of microorganisms, ultrastructural features. RESULTS: Of a total 68 lesions 32 were bilateral and four unilateral. Forty four (65%) were mild (Type I) and the remaining 24 (35%) moderate (Type II). Infective agents were isolated from 37 (54%) lesions; pure growth of Candida spp and Staph. aureus was noted in nine lesions each; a mixed growth of the two in II, beta-haemolytic streptococci in three and a mixed flora including coliforms in the other five. Candida spp were present in one control, beta-haemolytic streptococci in two and coliforms in four others. Scanning electron microscopy revealed natural topography of the angular skin with sparse colonisation by bacteria and yeasts. CONCLUSIONS: Angular cheilitis in Southern Chinese seems to be characterised by a milder clinical presentation and classic infective agents of the disease: Candida spp and Staph. aureus.
Persistent Identifierhttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/153921
ISSN
2015 Impact Factor: 2.0
2015 SCImago Journal Rankings: 0.828

 

DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorDias, APen_US
dc.contributor.authorSamaranayake, LPen_US
dc.date.accessioned2012-08-08T08:22:18Z-
dc.date.available2012-08-08T08:22:18Z-
dc.date.issued1995en_US
dc.identifier.citationOral Diseases, 1995, v. 1 n. 1, p. 43-48en_US
dc.identifier.issn1354-523Xen_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/153921-
dc.description.abstractOBJECTIVE: To obtain baseline data on angular cheilitis in Southern Chinese. DESIGN: A cross-sectional investigation of the clinical, microbiological and ultrastructural features of the condition. SUBJECTS AND METHOD: Thirty six Chinese adults with angular cheilitis; 28 controls matched for age and sex, with no inflammation. Clinical examination, swabs of lesions for microbiology, impressions of lesions for ultrastructure, using replica technique. MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES: Severity of lesions, associated signs and symptoms, incidence and type of microorganisms, ultrastructural features. RESULTS: Of a total 68 lesions 32 were bilateral and four unilateral. Forty four (65%) were mild (Type I) and the remaining 24 (35%) moderate (Type II). Infective agents were isolated from 37 (54%) lesions; pure growth of Candida spp and Staph. aureus was noted in nine lesions each; a mixed growth of the two in II, beta-haemolytic streptococci in three and a mixed flora including coliforms in the other five. Candida spp were present in one control, beta-haemolytic streptococci in two and coliforms in four others. Scanning electron microscopy revealed natural topography of the angular skin with sparse colonisation by bacteria and yeasts. CONCLUSIONS: Angular cheilitis in Southern Chinese seems to be characterised by a milder clinical presentation and classic infective agents of the disease: Candida spp and Staph. aureus.en_US
dc.languageengen_US
dc.publisherWiley-Blackwell Publishing, Inc. The Journal's web site is located at http://www.wiley.com/bw/journal.asp?ref=1354-523X&site=1en_US
dc.relation.ispartofOral diseasesen_US
dc.subject.meshAdulten_US
dc.subject.meshAgeden_US
dc.subject.meshAged, 80 And Overen_US
dc.subject.meshCandida - Isolation & Purificationen_US
dc.subject.meshCandida Albicans - Isolation & Purificationen_US
dc.subject.meshCheilitis - Microbiology - Pathologyen_US
dc.subject.meshChi-Square Distributionen_US
dc.subject.meshChinaen_US
dc.subject.meshCross-Sectional Studiesen_US
dc.subject.meshEnterobacteriaceae - Isolation & Purificationen_US
dc.subject.meshFemaleen_US
dc.subject.meshHumansen_US
dc.subject.meshMaleen_US
dc.subject.meshMicroscopy, Electron, Scanningen_US
dc.subject.meshMiddle Ageden_US
dc.subject.meshMycological Typing Techniquesen_US
dc.subject.meshStaphylococcus Aureus - Isolation & Purificationen_US
dc.subject.meshStreptococcus - Isolation & Purificationen_US
dc.titleClinical, microbiological and ultrastructural features of angular cheilitis lesions in Southern Chinese.en_US
dc.typeArticleen_US
dc.identifier.emailSamaranayake, LP:lakshman@hku.hken_US
dc.identifier.authoritySamaranayake, LP=rp00023en_US
dc.description.naturelink_to_subscribed_fulltexten_US
dc.identifier.pmid7553380-
dc.identifier.scopuseid_2-s2.0-0029261969en_US
dc.identifier.hkuros9154-
dc.identifier.volume1en_US
dc.identifier.issue1en_US
dc.identifier.spage43en_US
dc.identifier.epage48en_US
dc.publisher.placeUnited Statesen_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridDias, AP=36898934100en_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridSamaranayake, LP=7102761002en_US

Export via OAI-PMH Interface in XML Formats


OR


Export to Other Non-XML Formats