File Download

There are no files associated with this item.

  Links for fulltext
     (May Require Subscription)
Supplementary

Article: Short-term, medium-term, long-term, and lifetime risk of developing and dying of breast carcinoma in a westernized Chinese population: Evidence from Hong Kong between 1976 and 2000

TitleShort-term, medium-term, long-term, and lifetime risk of developing and dying of breast carcinoma in a westernized Chinese population: Evidence from Hong Kong between 1976 and 2000
Authors
Issue Date2005
PublisherJohn Wiley & Sons, Inc. The Journal's web site is located at http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/28741
Citation
Cancer, 2005, v. 103 n. 3, p. 501-508 How to Cite?
AbstractBACKGROUND. Estimates of lifetime and shorter-term risks of developing and dying of breast carcinoma are useful translational statistics for risk communication; however, these statistics are unknown for Chinese women, who account for one-fifth of the world's female population. In the current study, the authors examined age-specific 5-year, 10-year, 20-year, and lifetime risks of breast carcinoma incidence and disease-related mortality among Hong Kong women. METHODS. Multiple-decrement life tables were constructed by applying age-specific incidence and mortality rates obtained from cross-sectional data to a hypothetic birth cohort. Incidence, mortality, and population data from 1976 through 2000 were used. RESULTS. For Hong Kong women in the period 1996-2000, the overall lifetime risk of developing invasive breast carcinoma was 5.7% (1 in 17), compared with 10.6% (1 in 9) for U.S. Asian/Pacific Islander women and 14.5% (1 in 7) for U.S. white women. The lifetime breast carcinoma-related mortality risk for Hong Kong women in that same period was 1.7% (1 in 58). For women age 50 years, the 5-, 10-, and 20-year risks of developing breast carcinoma were 0.6% (1 in 172), 1.1% (1 in 87), and 2.1% (1 in 47), respectively. The absolute lifetime probability of developing breast carcinoma increased from 3.81% (1 in 26) during the period 1976-1980 to 5.73% (1 in 17) during the period 1996-2000; 44.5% of this change can be attributed to the increased longevity of women in the latter time period, and the remaining 55.5% can be ascribed to a secular rise in breast carcinoma incidence. CONCLUSIONS. As China becomes more Westernized, the authors expect that the risks of developing and dying of breast carcinoma for Chinese women will become more similar to the corresponding risks for Western women. The current data from Hong Kong, the most Westernized Chinese community, appear to support this conclusion. © 2004 American Cancer Society.
Persistent Identifierhttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/151605
ISSN
2015 Impact Factor: 5.649
2015 SCImago Journal Rankings: 3.188
ISI Accession Number ID
References

 

DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorLeung, GMen_US
dc.contributor.authorThach, TOen_US
dc.contributor.authorChan, Een_US
dc.contributor.authorFoo, Wen_US
dc.contributor.authorMeng, Oen_US
dc.contributor.authorFielding, Ren_US
dc.contributor.authorLam, WWTen_US
dc.contributor.authorHedley, AJen_US
dc.contributor.authorWong, CMen_US
dc.contributor.authorLam, THen_US
dc.date.accessioned2012-06-26T06:25:22Z-
dc.date.available2012-06-26T06:25:22Z-
dc.date.issued2005en_US
dc.identifier.citationCancer, 2005, v. 103 n. 3, p. 501-508en_US
dc.identifier.issn0008-543Xen_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/151605-
dc.description.abstractBACKGROUND. Estimates of lifetime and shorter-term risks of developing and dying of breast carcinoma are useful translational statistics for risk communication; however, these statistics are unknown for Chinese women, who account for one-fifth of the world's female population. In the current study, the authors examined age-specific 5-year, 10-year, 20-year, and lifetime risks of breast carcinoma incidence and disease-related mortality among Hong Kong women. METHODS. Multiple-decrement life tables were constructed by applying age-specific incidence and mortality rates obtained from cross-sectional data to a hypothetic birth cohort. Incidence, mortality, and population data from 1976 through 2000 were used. RESULTS. For Hong Kong women in the period 1996-2000, the overall lifetime risk of developing invasive breast carcinoma was 5.7% (1 in 17), compared with 10.6% (1 in 9) for U.S. Asian/Pacific Islander women and 14.5% (1 in 7) for U.S. white women. The lifetime breast carcinoma-related mortality risk for Hong Kong women in that same period was 1.7% (1 in 58). For women age 50 years, the 5-, 10-, and 20-year risks of developing breast carcinoma were 0.6% (1 in 172), 1.1% (1 in 87), and 2.1% (1 in 47), respectively. The absolute lifetime probability of developing breast carcinoma increased from 3.81% (1 in 26) during the period 1976-1980 to 5.73% (1 in 17) during the period 1996-2000; 44.5% of this change can be attributed to the increased longevity of women in the latter time period, and the remaining 55.5% can be ascribed to a secular rise in breast carcinoma incidence. CONCLUSIONS. As China becomes more Westernized, the authors expect that the risks of developing and dying of breast carcinoma for Chinese women will become more similar to the corresponding risks for Western women. The current data from Hong Kong, the most Westernized Chinese community, appear to support this conclusion. © 2004 American Cancer Society.en_US
dc.languageengen_US
dc.publisherJohn Wiley & Sons, Inc. The Journal's web site is located at http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/28741en_US
dc.relation.ispartofCanceren_US
dc.subject.meshAdulten_US
dc.subject.meshAgeden_US
dc.subject.meshAsian Americans - Statistics & Numerical Dataen_US
dc.subject.meshBreast Neoplasms - Epidemiology - Ethnology - Mortalityen_US
dc.subject.meshCarcinoma, Ductal, Breast - Epidemiology - Ethnology - Mortalityen_US
dc.subject.meshDeveloped Countries - Statistics & Numerical Dataen_US
dc.subject.meshEuropean Continental Ancestry Group - Statistics & Numerical Dataen_US
dc.subject.meshFemaleen_US
dc.subject.meshHong Kong - Epidemiologyen_US
dc.subject.meshHumansen_US
dc.subject.meshIncidenceen_US
dc.subject.meshLife Tablesen_US
dc.subject.meshLongitudinal Studiesen_US
dc.subject.meshMiddle Ageden_US
dc.subject.meshRisk Assessmenten_US
dc.subject.meshSeer Programen_US
dc.subject.meshSurvival Rateen_US
dc.subject.meshTime Factorsen_US
dc.subject.meshUnited States - Epidemiologyen_US
dc.titleShort-term, medium-term, long-term, and lifetime risk of developing and dying of breast carcinoma in a westernized Chinese population: Evidence from Hong Kong between 1976 and 2000en_US
dc.typeArticleen_US
dc.identifier.emailLeung, GM:gmleung@hku.hken_US
dc.identifier.emailThach, TO:thach@hku.hken_US
dc.identifier.emailFielding, R:fielding@hku.hken_US
dc.identifier.emailLam, WWT:wwtlam@hku.hken_US
dc.identifier.emailHedley, AJ:hrmrajh@hkucc.hku.hken_US
dc.identifier.emailLam, TH:hrmrlth@hkucc.hku.hken_US
dc.identifier.authorityLeung, GM=rp00460en_US
dc.identifier.authorityThach, TO=rp00450en_US
dc.identifier.authorityFielding, R=rp00339en_US
dc.identifier.authorityLam, WWT=rp00443en_US
dc.identifier.authorityHedley, AJ=rp00357en_US
dc.identifier.authorityLam, TH=rp00326en_US
dc.description.naturelink_to_subscribed_fulltexten_US
dc.identifier.doi10.1002/cncr.20784en_US
dc.identifier.pmid15597378-
dc.identifier.scopuseid_2-s2.0-19944433592en_US
dc.identifier.hkuros100367-
dc.relation.referenceshttp://www.scopus.com/mlt/select.url?eid=2-s2.0-19944433592&selection=ref&src=s&origin=recordpageen_US
dc.identifier.volume103en_US
dc.identifier.issue3en_US
dc.identifier.spage501en_US
dc.identifier.epage508en_US
dc.identifier.isiWOS:000226480100010-
dc.publisher.placeUnited Statesen_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridLeung, GM=7007159841en_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridThach, TO=6602850066en_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridChan, E=7401994013en_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridFoo, W=7003318564en_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridMeng, O=16638491700en_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridFielding, R=7102200484en_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridLam, WWT=7203022022en_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridHedley, AJ=7102584095en_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridWong, CW=36862843300en_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridLam, TH=7202522876en_US

Export via OAI-PMH Interface in XML Formats


OR


Export to Other Non-XML Formats