File Download
 
Links for fulltext
(May Require Subscription)
 
Supplementary

Conference Paper: Efficacy and safety of single-agent sunitinib in treating advanced hepatocelluar carcinoma patients after sorafenib failure: a prospective, open-label, phase II study (Abstract)
  • Basic View
  • Metadata View
  • XML View
TitleEfficacy and safety of single-agent sunitinib in treating advanced hepatocelluar carcinoma patients after sorafenib failure: a prospective, open-label, phase II study (Abstract)
 
AuthorsYau, TCC
Leung, RCY
Wong, H
Chiu, J
Chan, P
Pang, RWC
Fan, ST
Poon, RTP
 
Issue Date2011
 
CitationESMO 13th World Congress on Gastrointestinal Cancer, Barcelona, Spain, 22-25 June 2011. Annals of Oncology. In Annals of Oncology, v. 22 n. Suppl 5 [How to Cite?]
DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdr287
 
AbstractBackground: This is an open label and single arm phase II study to assess the efficacy and tolerability of sunitinib for the treatment of sorafenib-refractory advanced hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) patients. Methods: Between October, 2008 and October, 2010, eligible patients with advanced HCC and documented disease progression after sorafenib treatment received sunitinib 37.5 mg continuously at Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong. Response assessment was performed after every 8 weeks. The primary endpoint was time-to-progression (TTP) and the secondary endpoints were tumor response rate (RR), overall survival (OS) and safety. Results: At the time of analysis, 38 patients were recruited in the trial. The median age was 56 years (range, 27-80) and all patients were in ECOG Performance Status 0-1. Ninety-five percent of patients were chronic hepatitis B carriers with underlying Child- Pugh A and B cirrhosis in 70% and 30% of the enrolled patients, respectively. Ten (25%) patients had tumor vascular invasion and 32 (80%) patients had extra-hepatic metastasis. Among 35 evaluable patients, RR was 6% with 2 patients achieved partial response and another 12 (34%) patients achieved stable disease. Overall, 40% of patients derived clinical benefits from sunitinib treatment for at least 8 weeks. The median TTP was 2.9 months (0.5-15) and OS was 5.2 months (1-22.5). Malaise (60%), neutropenia (45%) and diarrhea (36%) were the most commonly encountered adverse events, with nearly 30% of patients experienced grade 3 or 4 toxicity. No treatmentrelated death was reported. Conclusions: Sunitinib has substantial anti-tumour activity with manageable toxicity profile in treating sorafenib-refractory advanced HCC population. These data may imply sunitinib inhibits signaling pathways involved in sorafenib resistance and support the hypothesis of sequential use of antiangiogenic tyrosine kinase inhibitors in treating advanced HCC patients
 
DescriptionP-0216
 
ISSN0923-7534
2012 Impact Factor: 7.384
2012 SCImago Journal Rankings: 2.579
 
DOIhttp://dx.doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdr287
 
DC FieldValue
dc.contributor.authorYau, TCC
 
dc.contributor.authorLeung, RCY
 
dc.contributor.authorWong, H
 
dc.contributor.authorChiu, J
 
dc.contributor.authorChan, P
 
dc.contributor.authorPang, RWC
 
dc.contributor.authorFan, ST
 
dc.contributor.authorPoon, RTP
 
dc.date.accessioned2011-08-26T14:36:33Z
 
dc.date.available2011-08-26T14:36:33Z
 
dc.date.issued2011
 
dc.description.abstractBackground: This is an open label and single arm phase II study to assess the efficacy and tolerability of sunitinib for the treatment of sorafenib-refractory advanced hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) patients. Methods: Between October, 2008 and October, 2010, eligible patients with advanced HCC and documented disease progression after sorafenib treatment received sunitinib 37.5 mg continuously at Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong. Response assessment was performed after every 8 weeks. The primary endpoint was time-to-progression (TTP) and the secondary endpoints were tumor response rate (RR), overall survival (OS) and safety. Results: At the time of analysis, 38 patients were recruited in the trial. The median age was 56 years (range, 27-80) and all patients were in ECOG Performance Status 0-1. Ninety-five percent of patients were chronic hepatitis B carriers with underlying Child- Pugh A and B cirrhosis in 70% and 30% of the enrolled patients, respectively. Ten (25%) patients had tumor vascular invasion and 32 (80%) patients had extra-hepatic metastasis. Among 35 evaluable patients, RR was 6% with 2 patients achieved partial response and another 12 (34%) patients achieved stable disease. Overall, 40% of patients derived clinical benefits from sunitinib treatment for at least 8 weeks. The median TTP was 2.9 months (0.5-15) and OS was 5.2 months (1-22.5). Malaise (60%), neutropenia (45%) and diarrhea (36%) were the most commonly encountered adverse events, with nearly 30% of patients experienced grade 3 or 4 toxicity. No treatmentrelated death was reported. Conclusions: Sunitinib has substantial anti-tumour activity with manageable toxicity profile in treating sorafenib-refractory advanced HCC population. These data may imply sunitinib inhibits signaling pathways involved in sorafenib resistance and support the hypothesis of sequential use of antiangiogenic tyrosine kinase inhibitors in treating advanced HCC patients
 
dc.descriptionP-0216
 
dc.identifier.citationESMO 13th World Congress on Gastrointestinal Cancer, Barcelona, Spain, 22-25 June 2011. Annals of Oncology. In Annals of Oncology, v. 22 n. Suppl 5 [How to Cite?]
DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdr287
 
dc.identifier.doihttp://dx.doi.org/10.1093/annonc/mdr287
 
dc.identifier.hkuros189740
 
dc.identifier.issn0923-7534
2012 Impact Factor: 7.384
2012 SCImago Journal Rankings: 2.579
 
dc.identifier.issueSuppl 5
 
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/137895
 
dc.identifier.volume22
 
dc.languageeng
 
dc.relation.ispartofESMO 13th World Congress on Gastrointestinal Cancer, Barcelona, Spain, 22-25 June 2011. Annals of Oncology
 
dc.titleEfficacy and safety of single-agent sunitinib in treating advanced hepatocelluar carcinoma patients after sorafenib failure: a prospective, open-label, phase II study (Abstract)
 
dc.typeConference_Paper
 
<?xml encoding="utf-8" version="1.0"?>
<item><contributor.author>Yau, TCC</contributor.author>
<contributor.author>Leung, RCY</contributor.author>
<contributor.author>Wong, H</contributor.author>
<contributor.author>Chiu, J</contributor.author>
<contributor.author>Chan, P</contributor.author>
<contributor.author>Pang, RWC</contributor.author>
<contributor.author>Fan, ST</contributor.author>
<contributor.author>Poon, RTP</contributor.author>
<date.accessioned>2011-08-26T14:36:33Z</date.accessioned>
<date.available>2011-08-26T14:36:33Z</date.available>
<date.issued>2011</date.issued>
<identifier.citation>ESMO 13th World Congress on Gastrointestinal Cancer, Barcelona, Spain, 22-25 June 2011. Annals of Oncology. In Annals of Oncology, v. 22 n. Suppl 5</identifier.citation>
<identifier.issn>0923-7534</identifier.issn>
<identifier.uri>http://hdl.handle.net/10722/137895</identifier.uri>
<description>P-0216</description>
<description.abstract>Background: This is an open label and single arm phase II study to assess the efficacy
and tolerability of sunitinib for the treatment of sorafenib-refractory advanced
hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) patients.
Methods: Between October, 2008 and October, 2010, eligible patients with advanced
HCC and documented disease progression after sorafenib treatment received sunitinib
37.5 mg continuously at Queen Mary Hospital, Hong Kong. Response assessment was
performed after every 8 weeks. The primary endpoint was time-to-progression (TTP)
and the secondary endpoints were tumor response rate (RR), overall survival (OS) and
safety.
Results: At the time of analysis, 38 patients were recruited in the trial. The median age
was 56 years (range, 27-80) and all patients were in ECOG Performance Status 0-1.
Ninety-five percent of patients were chronic hepatitis B carriers with underlying Child-
Pugh A and B cirrhosis in 70% and 30% of the enrolled patients, respectively. Ten
(25%) patients had tumor vascular invasion and 32 (80%) patients had extra-hepatic
metastasis. Among 35 evaluable patients, RR was 6% with 2 patients achieved partial
response and another 12 (34%) patients achieved stable disease. Overall, 40% of
patients derived clinical benefits from sunitinib treatment for at least 8 weeks. The
median TTP was 2.9 months (0.5-15) and OS was 5.2 months (1-22.5). Malaise (60%),
neutropenia (45%) and diarrhea (36%) were the most commonly encountered adverse
events, with nearly 30% of patients experienced grade 3 or 4 toxicity. No treatmentrelated
death was reported.
Conclusions: Sunitinib has substantial anti-tumour activity with manageable toxicity
profile in treating sorafenib-refractory advanced HCC population. These data may
imply sunitinib inhibits signaling pathways involved in sorafenib resistance and
support the hypothesis of sequential use of antiangiogenic tyrosine kinase inhibitors in
treating advanced HCC patients</description.abstract>
<language>eng</language>
<relation.ispartof>ESMO 13th World Congress on Gastrointestinal Cancer, Barcelona, Spain, 22-25 June 2011. Annals of Oncology</relation.ispartof>
<title>Efficacy and safety of single-agent sunitinib in treating advanced hepatocelluar carcinoma patients after sorafenib failure: a prospective, open-label, phase II study (Abstract)</title>
<type>Conference_Paper</type>
<identifier.doi>10.1093/annonc/mdr287</identifier.doi>
<identifier.hkuros>189740</identifier.hkuros>
<identifier.volume>22</identifier.volume>
<identifier.issue>Suppl 5</identifier.issue>
</item>