File Download

There are no files associated with this item.

  Links for fulltext
     (May Require Subscription)

Article: Risk factors for drug allergies in Chinese children

TitleRisk factors for drug allergies in Chinese children
Authors
Keywordsallergy
anaphylaxis
challenge
drug
epidemiology
Issue Date2019
PublisherThe Allergy and Immunology Society of Thailand. The Journal's web site is located at http://apjai-journal.org/
Citation
Asian Pacific Journal of Allergy and Immunology, 2019, Epub 2019-03-24 How to Cite?
AbstractBACKGROUND: Drug allergy, or drug hypersensitivity, is a potentially fatal disorder, and patients labeled with drug allergies have restricted access to first-line treatments. Full knowledge of the characteristics associated with drug allergies and severe reactions during allergy evaluation is beneficial for appropriate risk stratification. OBJECTIVE: We sought to determine whether certain clinical characteristics are associated with drug allergies in Chinese children. METHODS: Charts were reviewed for ethnic Chinese patients less than 18 years old referred to our tertiary allergy center for suspected drug allergies and completed skin and drug provocative testing between 2005 to 2017. Univariate and multivariate analyses were performed on the age of onset of drug allergies, gender, and other atopy versus drug allergies. RESULTS: Out of 75 children, 18 (24%) had IgE-mediated drug allergies, while 8 (10.7%) had delayed drug hypersensitivities, with a cumulative 26 subjects (34.7%) with any drug hypersensitivity. There were positive independent associations between drug hypersensitivities onset age vs IgE-mediated drug allergies (odds ratio (OR) = 14.9, 95% confidence intervals (CIs) = 1.5-148.3, P = 0.017) and between male gender and IgE-mediated drug allergies (OR = 4.4, CIs = 1.2-16.4, P = 0.019). Age 13 years was the best cut-off for IgE-mediated drug allergies according to the receiver operating characteristic curve (P = 0.026). Older age group (OR = 24.0, CIs = 1.4-417.8, P = 0.024) and atopic dermatitis (OR = 8.2, CIs = 1.4-49.8, P = 0.015) were correlated with delayed drug hypersensitivities. CONCLUSIONS: While several previous studies suggested a higher prevalence of IgE-mediated drug allergies in younger adult females, older boys were more likely to have drug allergies for Chinese children.
Persistent Identifierhttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/288141
ISSN
2019 Impact Factor: 1.247
2015 SCImago Journal Rankings: 0.560

 

DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorS Da Rosa Duque, J-
dc.contributor.authorCheuk, DKL-
dc.contributor.authorChong, PCY-
dc.contributor.authorIp, P-
dc.contributor.authorWong, WHS-
dc.contributor.authorLee, PPW-
dc.contributor.authorWong, ICK-
dc.contributor.authorChan, GCF-
dc.contributor.authorLau, YL-
dc.contributor.authorHo, MHK-
dc.date.accessioned2020-10-05T12:08:28Z-
dc.date.available2020-10-05T12:08:28Z-
dc.date.issued2019-
dc.identifier.citationAsian Pacific Journal of Allergy and Immunology, 2019, Epub 2019-03-24-
dc.identifier.issn0125-877X-
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/288141-
dc.description.abstractBACKGROUND: Drug allergy, or drug hypersensitivity, is a potentially fatal disorder, and patients labeled with drug allergies have restricted access to first-line treatments. Full knowledge of the characteristics associated with drug allergies and severe reactions during allergy evaluation is beneficial for appropriate risk stratification. OBJECTIVE: We sought to determine whether certain clinical characteristics are associated with drug allergies in Chinese children. METHODS: Charts were reviewed for ethnic Chinese patients less than 18 years old referred to our tertiary allergy center for suspected drug allergies and completed skin and drug provocative testing between 2005 to 2017. Univariate and multivariate analyses were performed on the age of onset of drug allergies, gender, and other atopy versus drug allergies. RESULTS: Out of 75 children, 18 (24%) had IgE-mediated drug allergies, while 8 (10.7%) had delayed drug hypersensitivities, with a cumulative 26 subjects (34.7%) with any drug hypersensitivity. There were positive independent associations between drug hypersensitivities onset age vs IgE-mediated drug allergies (odds ratio (OR) = 14.9, 95% confidence intervals (CIs) = 1.5-148.3, P = 0.017) and between male gender and IgE-mediated drug allergies (OR = 4.4, CIs = 1.2-16.4, P = 0.019). Age 13 years was the best cut-off for IgE-mediated drug allergies according to the receiver operating characteristic curve (P = 0.026). Older age group (OR = 24.0, CIs = 1.4-417.8, P = 0.024) and atopic dermatitis (OR = 8.2, CIs = 1.4-49.8, P = 0.015) were correlated with delayed drug hypersensitivities. CONCLUSIONS: While several previous studies suggested a higher prevalence of IgE-mediated drug allergies in younger adult females, older boys were more likely to have drug allergies for Chinese children.-
dc.languageeng-
dc.publisherThe Allergy and Immunology Society of Thailand. The Journal's web site is located at http://apjai-journal.org/-
dc.relation.ispartofAsian Pacific Journal of Allergy and Immunology-
dc.subjectallergy-
dc.subjectanaphylaxis-
dc.subjectchallenge-
dc.subjectdrug-
dc.subjectepidemiology-
dc.titleRisk factors for drug allergies in Chinese children-
dc.typeArticle-
dc.identifier.emailS Da Rosa Duque, J: jsrduque@hku.hk-
dc.identifier.emailCheuk, DKL: klcheuk@hkucc.hku.hk-
dc.identifier.emailChong, PCY: chongpcy@hku.hk-
dc.identifier.emailIp, P: patricip@hku.hk-
dc.identifier.emailWong, WHS: whswong@hku.hk-
dc.identifier.emailLee, PPW: ppwlee@hku.hk-
dc.identifier.emailWong, ICK: wongick@hku.hk-
dc.identifier.emailChan, GCF: gcfchan@hku.hk-
dc.identifier.emailLau, YL: lauylung@hku.hk-
dc.identifier.emailHo, MHK: marcoho@hku.hk-
dc.identifier.authorityS Da Rosa Duque, J=rp02340-
dc.identifier.authorityIp, P=rp01337-
dc.identifier.authorityLee, PPW=rp00462-
dc.identifier.authorityWong, ICK=rp01480-
dc.identifier.authorityChan, GCF=rp00431-
dc.identifier.authorityLau, YL=rp00361-
dc.description.naturelink_to_OA_fulltext-
dc.identifier.doi10.12932/ap-191018-0417-
dc.identifier.pmid30903997-
dc.identifier.hkuros315820-
dc.identifier.volumeEpub 2019-03-24-
dc.publisher.placeThailand-

Export via OAI-PMH Interface in XML Formats


OR


Export to Other Non-XML Formats