File Download

There are no files associated with this item.

  Links for fulltext
     (May Require Subscription)
Supplementary

Article: Prevalence of tidal interactions among local Seyfert galaxies: The control experiment

TitlePrevalence of tidal interactions among local Seyfert galaxies: The control experiment
Authors
KeywordsGalaxies: Active
Galaxies: Interactions
Galaxies: Ism
Galaxies: Seyfert
Galaxies: Structure
Issue Date2008
PublisherInstitute of Physics Publishing Ltd. The Journal's web site is located at http://iopscience.iop.org/2041-8205
Citation
Astrophysical Journal Letters, 2008, v. 679 n. 2, p. 1094-1127 How to Cite?
AbstractWe test whether there is a relation between the observed tidal interactions and Seyfert activity by imaging in atomic hydrogen (H I 27) inactive galaxies at the same spatial resolution and detection threshold as the Seyfert sample. This control sample of inactive galaxies was closely matched in Hubble type, range in size, and inclination and has roughly comparable galaxy optical luminosity to the Seyfert galaxies. We find that only ∼15% of the galaxies in our control sample are disturbed in H I, whereas the remaining ∼85% show no disturbances whatsoever in H I. Even at a spatial resolution of ∼10 kpc, none of the latter galaxies show appreciable H I disturbances reminiscent of tidal features. In a companion paper we report results from the first systematic imaging survey of Seyfert galaxies in H I gas. We find that only ∼28% of the 18 Seyfert galaxies in that sample are visibly disturbed in optical starlight. By contrast, ∼94% of the same Seyfert galaxies are disturbed spatially and usually also kinematically in H I gas on galactic scales of ≳20 kpc. In at least ∼67% and up to perhaps ∼94% of cases, the observed disturbances can be traced to tidal interactions with neighboring galaxies detected also in H I. The dramatic contrast between the observed prevalence of H I disturbances in the Seyfert and control samples implicates tidal interactions in initiating events that lead to luminous Seyfert activity in a large fraction of local disk galaxies. © 2008. The American Astronomical Society. All rights reserved.
Persistent Identifierhttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/175146
ISSN
2015 Impact Factor: 5.487
2015 SCImago Journal Rankings: 3.369
ISI Accession Number ID
References

 

DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorTang, YWen_US
dc.contributor.authorKuo, CYen_US
dc.contributor.authorLim, Jen_US
dc.contributor.authorHo, PTPen_US
dc.date.accessioned2012-11-26T08:49:24Z-
dc.date.available2012-11-26T08:49:24Z-
dc.date.issued2008en_US
dc.identifier.citationAstrophysical Journal Letters, 2008, v. 679 n. 2, p. 1094-1127en_US
dc.identifier.issn2041-8205en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/175146-
dc.description.abstractWe test whether there is a relation between the observed tidal interactions and Seyfert activity by imaging in atomic hydrogen (H I 27) inactive galaxies at the same spatial resolution and detection threshold as the Seyfert sample. This control sample of inactive galaxies was closely matched in Hubble type, range in size, and inclination and has roughly comparable galaxy optical luminosity to the Seyfert galaxies. We find that only ∼15% of the galaxies in our control sample are disturbed in H I, whereas the remaining ∼85% show no disturbances whatsoever in H I. Even at a spatial resolution of ∼10 kpc, none of the latter galaxies show appreciable H I disturbances reminiscent of tidal features. In a companion paper we report results from the first systematic imaging survey of Seyfert galaxies in H I gas. We find that only ∼28% of the 18 Seyfert galaxies in that sample are visibly disturbed in optical starlight. By contrast, ∼94% of the same Seyfert galaxies are disturbed spatially and usually also kinematically in H I gas on galactic scales of ≳20 kpc. In at least ∼67% and up to perhaps ∼94% of cases, the observed disturbances can be traced to tidal interactions with neighboring galaxies detected also in H I. The dramatic contrast between the observed prevalence of H I disturbances in the Seyfert and control samples implicates tidal interactions in initiating events that lead to luminous Seyfert activity in a large fraction of local disk galaxies. © 2008. The American Astronomical Society. All rights reserved.en_US
dc.languageengen_US
dc.publisherInstitute of Physics Publishing Ltd. The Journal's web site is located at http://iopscience.iop.org/2041-8205en_US
dc.relation.ispartofAstrophysical Journal Lettersen_US
dc.subjectGalaxies: Activeen_US
dc.subjectGalaxies: Interactionsen_US
dc.subjectGalaxies: Ismen_US
dc.subjectGalaxies: Seyferten_US
dc.subjectGalaxies: Structureen_US
dc.titlePrevalence of tidal interactions among local Seyfert galaxies: The control experimenten_US
dc.typeArticleen_US
dc.identifier.emailLim, J: jjlim@hku.hken_US
dc.identifier.authorityLim, J=rp00745en_US
dc.description.naturelink_to_subscribed_fulltexten_US
dc.identifier.doi10.1086/587045en_US
dc.identifier.scopuseid_2-s2.0-46349110477en_US
dc.relation.referenceshttp://www.scopus.com/mlt/select.url?eid=2-s2.0-46349110477&selection=ref&src=s&origin=recordpageen_US
dc.identifier.volume679en_US
dc.identifier.issue2en_US
dc.identifier.spage1094en_US
dc.identifier.epage1127en_US
dc.identifier.eissn1538-4357-
dc.identifier.isiWOS:000256315500012-
dc.publisher.placeUnited Kingdomen_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridTang, YW=24449822900en_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridKuo, CY=24449062500en_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridLim, J=7403453870en_US
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridHo, PTP=7402211489en_US

Export via OAI-PMH Interface in XML Formats


OR


Export to Other Non-XML Formats