File Download

There are no files associated with this item.

  Links for fulltext
     (May Require Subscription)
Supplementary

Article: A comparison of outcome after resection for squamous cell carcinomas and adenocarcinomas of the esophagus and cardia

TitleA comparison of outcome after resection for squamous cell carcinomas and adenocarcinomas of the esophagus and cardia
Authors
Issue Date1992
Citation
Surgery Gynecology And Obstetrics, 1992, v. 175 n. 2, p. 107-112 How to Cite?
AbstractAmong 625 patients with squamous cell carcinoma and 134 patients with adenocarcinoma of the esophagus and cardia, a one stage resection was performed upon 375 patients of the squamous carcinoma group (excluding pharyngolaryngoesophagectomy) and 92 patients in the adenocarcinoma group. The patients formed the basis of the current analysis. Male to female ratio was 7:1 for those with squamous carcinoma compared with 3.6:1.0 for those with adenocarcinoma (p=0.037). Most squamous carcinomas were located in the middle one-third (56.3 percent) and lower one-third (33.0 percent) of the esophagus. Adenocarcinomas were predominantly found at the cardia (91.3 percent) and lower one-third (6.5 percent). Postoperatively, respiratory complications occurred in 34.4 percent of patients in the group with squamous carcinoma and in 19.6 percent of patients in the group with adenocarcinoma (p=0.01). Cardiac complications occurred in 28.3 percent of patients in the group with squamous carcinoma and in 16.3 percent of patients in the group with adenocarcinoma (p=0.03). Anastomotic leaks were uncommon for both groups (4.3 and 5.4 percent, respectively). Anastomotic recurrence occurred in 6.1 and 7.6 percent of patients, respectively. Respiratory complications, malignant cachexia and sepsis accounted for most of the deaths in the hospital. The 30 day mortality rates for patients with squamous carcinoma and adenocarcinoma were comparable (4.8 and 6.5 percent, respectively) (p=0.33). After 30 days, mortality rates differed significantly (11.7 and 3.3 percent, respectively) (p=0.026). The overall hospital mortality rates, however, were comparable (16.5 and 9.8 percent, respectively) (p=0.14). The overall five year survival rate for both groups was 15 percent. For patients with squamous carcinomas, the five year survival rate after curative resection was 31 percent compared with 5 percent for palliative resection. For patients with adenocarcinomas, the respective five year survival rates were 35 and zero percent. It was concluded that the two types of tumor differ significantly in the incidence of postoperative morbidity, but mortality and the long term survival rates were similar.
Persistent Identifierhttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/172678
ISSN
ISI Accession Number ID

 

DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorLaw, SYKen_HK
dc.contributor.authorFok, Men_HK
dc.contributor.authorCheng, SWKen_HK
dc.contributor.authorWong, Jen_HK
dc.date.accessioned2012-10-30T06:24:13Z-
dc.date.available2012-10-30T06:24:13Z-
dc.date.issued1992en_HK
dc.identifier.citationSurgery Gynecology And Obstetrics, 1992, v. 175 n. 2, p. 107-112en_HK
dc.identifier.issn0039-6087en_HK
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/172678-
dc.description.abstractAmong 625 patients with squamous cell carcinoma and 134 patients with adenocarcinoma of the esophagus and cardia, a one stage resection was performed upon 375 patients of the squamous carcinoma group (excluding pharyngolaryngoesophagectomy) and 92 patients in the adenocarcinoma group. The patients formed the basis of the current analysis. Male to female ratio was 7:1 for those with squamous carcinoma compared with 3.6:1.0 for those with adenocarcinoma (p=0.037). Most squamous carcinomas were located in the middle one-third (56.3 percent) and lower one-third (33.0 percent) of the esophagus. Adenocarcinomas were predominantly found at the cardia (91.3 percent) and lower one-third (6.5 percent). Postoperatively, respiratory complications occurred in 34.4 percent of patients in the group with squamous carcinoma and in 19.6 percent of patients in the group with adenocarcinoma (p=0.01). Cardiac complications occurred in 28.3 percent of patients in the group with squamous carcinoma and in 16.3 percent of patients in the group with adenocarcinoma (p=0.03). Anastomotic leaks were uncommon for both groups (4.3 and 5.4 percent, respectively). Anastomotic recurrence occurred in 6.1 and 7.6 percent of patients, respectively. Respiratory complications, malignant cachexia and sepsis accounted for most of the deaths in the hospital. The 30 day mortality rates for patients with squamous carcinoma and adenocarcinoma were comparable (4.8 and 6.5 percent, respectively) (p=0.33). After 30 days, mortality rates differed significantly (11.7 and 3.3 percent, respectively) (p=0.026). The overall hospital mortality rates, however, were comparable (16.5 and 9.8 percent, respectively) (p=0.14). The overall five year survival rate for both groups was 15 percent. For patients with squamous carcinomas, the five year survival rate after curative resection was 31 percent compared with 5 percent for palliative resection. For patients with adenocarcinomas, the respective five year survival rates were 35 and zero percent. It was concluded that the two types of tumor differ significantly in the incidence of postoperative morbidity, but mortality and the long term survival rates were similar.en_HK
dc.languageengen_US
dc.relation.ispartofSurgery Gynecology and Obstetricsen_HK
dc.subject.meshAdenocarcinoma - Mortality - Surgeryen_US
dc.subject.meshCarcinoma, Squamous Cell - Mortality - Surgeryen_US
dc.subject.meshCardiaen_US
dc.subject.meshEsophageal Neoplasms - Mortality - Surgeryen_US
dc.subject.meshFemaleen_US
dc.subject.meshHong Kong - Epidemiologyen_US
dc.subject.meshHospital Mortalityen_US
dc.subject.meshHumansen_US
dc.subject.meshMaleen_US
dc.subject.meshMiddle Ageden_US
dc.subject.meshPostoperative Complications - Mortalityen_US
dc.subject.meshStomach Neoplasms - Mortality - Surgeryen_US
dc.subject.meshSurvival Rateen_US
dc.titleA comparison of outcome after resection for squamous cell carcinomas and adenocarcinomas of the esophagus and cardiaen_HK
dc.typeArticleen_HK
dc.identifier.emailLaw, SYK: slaw@hku.hken_HK
dc.identifier.emailCheng, SWK: wkcheng@hkucc.hku.hken_HK
dc.identifier.emailWong, J: jwong@hkucc.hku.hken_HK
dc.identifier.authorityLaw, SYK=rp00437en_HK
dc.identifier.authorityCheng, SWK=rp00374en_HK
dc.identifier.authorityWong, J=rp00322en_HK
dc.description.naturelink_to_subscribed_fulltexten_US
dc.identifier.pmid1636132en_HK
dc.identifier.scopuseid_2-s2.0-0026778909en_HK
dc.identifier.volume175en_HK
dc.identifier.issue2en_HK
dc.identifier.spage107en_HK
dc.identifier.epage112en_HK
dc.identifier.isiWOS:A1992JG45000003-
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridLaw, SYK=7202241293en_HK
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridFok, M=7005879262en_HK
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridCheng, SWK=7404684779en_HK
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridWong, J=8049324500en_HK

Export via OAI-PMH Interface in XML Formats


OR


Export to Other Non-XML Formats