File Download

There are no files associated with this item.

  Links for fulltext
     (May Require Subscription)
Supplementary

Article: Determination of the molecular relationship between multiple tumour nodules in hepatocellular carcinoma differentiates multicentric origin from intrahepatic metastasis

TitleDetermination of the molecular relationship between multiple tumour nodules in hepatocellular carcinoma differentiates multicentric origin from intrahepatic metastasis
Authors
KeywordsCGH
Hepatocellular carcinoma
Intrahepatic metastasis
LOH
Molecular relationship
Multicentric occurrence
Issue Date2003
PublisherJohn Wiley & Sons. The Journal's web site is located at http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/1130
Citation
Journal Of Pathology, 2003, v. 199 n. 3, p. 345-353 How to Cite?
AbstractThe purpose of this study was to determine the molecular relationship between multiple tumour nodules in hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) within individual patients and to evaluate their clonality, which may bear prognostic significance. In 25 HCC nodules from 11 patients with multiple HCCs, the clonal relationships of the nodules within individual patients were determined using DNA fingerprinting with loss of heterozygosity (LOH) assay, comparative genomic hybridization (CGH), and hepatitis B virus (HBV) integration pattern. Both LOH assay and CGH indicated that in four (36%) of the 11 patients, the multiple HCCs had different clonalities and hence were of multicentric origin, whereas in the remaining seven (64%) patients, the multiple HCCs had similar clonal relationships and were intrahepatic metastases. In selected cases, the HBV integration pattern helped to confirm the clonality results. Gross appearance, size, location, and histology of the tumours could not accurately predict their clonal origin in every case. Assessment of DNA alterations allows precise determination of the clonality of multiple HCCs within one patient. Of these molecular methods, LOH analysis can be used to evaluate tumour clonality in most patients even before surgical resection, since this assay can be readily applied routinely to either liver biopsies or fine needle aspirates. Copyright © 2003 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Persistent Identifierhttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/148325
ISSN
2015 Impact Factor: 7.381
2015 SCImago Journal Rankings: 4.176
ISI Accession Number ID
References

 

DC FieldValueLanguage
dc.contributor.authorNg, IOLen_HK
dc.contributor.authorGuan, XYen_HK
dc.contributor.authorPoon, RTPen_HK
dc.contributor.authorFan, STen_HK
dc.contributor.authorLee, JMFen_HK
dc.date.accessioned2012-05-29T06:12:14Z-
dc.date.available2012-05-29T06:12:14Z-
dc.date.issued2003en_HK
dc.identifier.citationJournal Of Pathology, 2003, v. 199 n. 3, p. 345-353en_HK
dc.identifier.issn0022-3417en_HK
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/10722/148325-
dc.description.abstractThe purpose of this study was to determine the molecular relationship between multiple tumour nodules in hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) within individual patients and to evaluate their clonality, which may bear prognostic significance. In 25 HCC nodules from 11 patients with multiple HCCs, the clonal relationships of the nodules within individual patients were determined using DNA fingerprinting with loss of heterozygosity (LOH) assay, comparative genomic hybridization (CGH), and hepatitis B virus (HBV) integration pattern. Both LOH assay and CGH indicated that in four (36%) of the 11 patients, the multiple HCCs had different clonalities and hence were of multicentric origin, whereas in the remaining seven (64%) patients, the multiple HCCs had similar clonal relationships and were intrahepatic metastases. In selected cases, the HBV integration pattern helped to confirm the clonality results. Gross appearance, size, location, and histology of the tumours could not accurately predict their clonal origin in every case. Assessment of DNA alterations allows precise determination of the clonality of multiple HCCs within one patient. Of these molecular methods, LOH analysis can be used to evaluate tumour clonality in most patients even before surgical resection, since this assay can be readily applied routinely to either liver biopsies or fine needle aspirates. Copyright © 2003 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.en_HK
dc.languageengen_US
dc.publisherJohn Wiley & Sons. The Journal's web site is located at http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/jhome/1130en_HK
dc.relation.ispartofJournal of Pathologyen_HK
dc.subjectCGHen_HK
dc.subjectHepatocellular carcinomaen_HK
dc.subjectIntrahepatic metastasisen_HK
dc.subjectLOHen_HK
dc.subjectMolecular relationshipen_HK
dc.subjectMulticentric occurrenceen_HK
dc.subject.meshAdulten_US
dc.subject.meshAgeden_US
dc.subject.meshCarcinoma, Hepatocellular - Genetics - Pathology - Virologyen_US
dc.subject.meshChromosome Aberrationsen_US
dc.subject.meshDna, Neoplasm - Geneticsen_US
dc.subject.meshDna, Viral - Analysisen_US
dc.subject.meshHepatitis B Virus - Isolation & Purificationen_US
dc.subject.meshHumansen_US
dc.subject.meshLiver Neoplasms - Genetics - Pathology - Secondary - Virologyen_US
dc.subject.meshLoss Of Heterozygosityen_US
dc.subject.meshMaleen_US
dc.subject.meshMicrosatellite Repeatsen_US
dc.subject.meshMiddle Ageden_US
dc.subject.meshNeoplastic Stem Cells - Pathologyen_US
dc.subject.meshNucleic Acid Hybridizationen_US
dc.subject.meshPrognosisen_US
dc.subject.meshVirus Integrationen_US
dc.titleDetermination of the molecular relationship between multiple tumour nodules in hepatocellular carcinoma differentiates multicentric origin from intrahepatic metastasisen_HK
dc.typeArticleen_HK
dc.identifier.emailNg, IOL: iolng@hkucc.hku.hken_HK
dc.identifier.emailGuan, XY: xyguan@hkucc.hku.hken_HK
dc.identifier.emailPoon, RTP: poontp@hkucc.hku.hken_HK
dc.identifier.emailFan, ST: stfan@hku.hken_HK
dc.identifier.authorityNg, IOL=rp00335en_HK
dc.identifier.authorityGuan, XY=rp00454en_HK
dc.identifier.authorityPoon, RTP=rp00446en_HK
dc.identifier.authorityFan, ST=rp00355en_HK
dc.description.naturelink_to_subscribed_fulltexten_US
dc.identifier.doi10.1002/path.1287en_HK
dc.identifier.pmid12579536-
dc.identifier.scopuseid_2-s2.0-0037371545en_HK
dc.identifier.hkuros77816-
dc.relation.referenceshttp://www.scopus.com/mlt/select.url?eid=2-s2.0-0037371545&selection=ref&src=s&origin=recordpageen_HK
dc.identifier.volume199en_HK
dc.identifier.issue3en_HK
dc.identifier.spage345en_HK
dc.identifier.epage353en_HK
dc.identifier.isiWOS:000181350100008-
dc.publisher.placeUnited Kingdomen_HK
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridNg, IOL=7102753722en_HK
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridGuan, XY=7201463221en_HK
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridPoon, RTP=7103097223en_HK
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridFan, ST=7402678224en_HK
dc.identifier.scopusauthoridLee, JMF=36065603500en_HK

Export via OAI-PMH Interface in XML Formats


OR


Export to Other Non-XML Formats